Re-Pointing : How much to charge?

lmar092

May 18, 2009
I have a patio cleaning business. When the pressure washer cleans it either displaces the pointing or shows that there never was any!

I would like to offer a service to re-point when required.

Could do with some advice on what to charge (preferably per metre run so that I can cost up quickly). Also when to use dry or wet mixes and what ratio/best method. Also materials required per metre run.

I know I've not mentioned the gap size, the average seems to be 1/2 inch that I've worked on.

I'd say 8 out of 10 required repointing and it would be a great service to offer/additional revenue.

Thanks

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
You need to do a proper job to protect yourself from appearing in a post here, as one of the bad guys, one day!!!! Check out your local Further Ed college, they may have a short course on repointing as its a more complex issue than a one-size fits all answer. It depends on what the previous pointing was done with, and its condition, the age, and type, of the house etc. etc.

houseexpert

May 20, 2009
Plumbing Courses- Able Skills plumbing courses for anyone looking to learn plumbing. Beginners and advanced with City & Guilds qualifications also available

Eoghain

May 20, 2009
In my opinion its not a good idea to repoint some joints and not others as you will more than likely end up with different colour mortars . Pointing to a high standard is not as simple as it may seem ,if you have not had any past experience repointing, i would suggest that all joints are raked out and you use one of the epoxy based mortars which are available in most builders merchants and diy stores .This product is simple to use as it is vacuum packed ,simply cut the bag open turn the mortar over with a trowel and brush into the joints and its available in different colours and wont stain the slabs .The materials may cost more but the man hours should be at most a third .