BBC Watchdog: More DVLA blunders

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Two weeks ago Julia went on a road trip with two women who'd lost their licences because of mistakes that the DVLA made. We weren't sure what the result would be but fortunately it was a success story with happy ending - both women were told they could have their licences back.

The DVLA chief executive told us that the DVLA isn't perfect and it does make mistakes but when it does they're rare.

Since then, Watchdog has received hundreds more complaints suggesting that the DVLA has bungled more people's licences.

Nine-year mistake
For instance, Dr Mohammed Edris has been putting up with an error on his licence for the past nine years. He passed his UK driving test years ago but when his license arrived it had one glaring error.

"Basically it says Reverend Mohammed Edris. That was really the hilarious part of it! I'm a Muslim doctor and I cannot be a reverend," says Dr Edris.

Dr Edris has twice returned his licence and asked the DVLA to put right its mistake. However, both times Dr Edris' licence came back with the title 'Reverend' still on it.

"At this point I have given up and have not bothered to send it a third time," says Dr Edris.

The DVLA continue to make mistakes, and in some cases they seem to be very basic errors.

Jennifer Brown requested a new licence at the start of May after misplacing hers. When it arrived she quickly noticed some fundamental problems. The name, signature and photo on her new licence all belonged to a complete stranger.

When we first investigated the DVLA we had no idea that we were just scratching the surface of what's now clearly a much bigger problem than it is prepared to admit. We all make mistakes, but why does the DVLA keep making so many?

DVLA statement
"We do everything we can to ensure that our records are accurate, and on the whole they are. Where mistakes are made, we are of course extremely sorry for any distress caused and in the cases of Dr Edris and Ms Brown, replacement driving licences have been issued and letters of apology sent."

More DVLA blunders