Wrappers typepad -Item not received, no reply to emails

ha9107

May 19, 2009
A warning to potential buyers- Wrappers, an online company based in Oxfordshire (full address Gregory Estate, Cuxham, Oxfordshire OX49 5NL) seems legitimate at first. They custom-make ipod and laptop sleeves/cases. It even has been name-checked in several ipod forums/sites. So no problems, i thought. I ordered an ipod sleeve/case on 26th April 09 and paid £19.50 incl postage via google checkout. I have not received anything since, and all my emails have gone unanswered.

Going back to their website www wrappers.typepad.com I noticed a few things I missed earlier. There are no contact details on the site (there is an 'email me' link only), no address (the address i got is from the google checkout receipt), and no buying/returns policy.

Looking through yellow pages online, they are not even registered. So there is no phone number.

These are usually signs of a bad or fraudulent company.

I guess we sometimes learn the hard way. Hopefully no one else will make the same mistake. I will try to post on other consumer forums so hopefully word gets around.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How did you pay? if it was with a Visa Debit card you might be in luck....

Tony

ha9107

May 19, 2009
Yes, in fact it was with a Barclays Visa Debit card. Do you think they might be able to offer a compensation?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Looking at the site, and the picture that includes a sewing machine, and cute little glass headed pins, it looks like a small set-up, a purchased template type site, using a domestic machine and Google Checkout rather than a direct credit card arrangement. You could take it up with Google Checkout as they may have had other complaints. I would email again telling them you would like a reply within two days about the likely delivery of your item, and that if you don't get one you will be taking chargeback steps. I guess it's a person with a good idea, that has got more response than they could have wished and has got very behind.

ha9107

May 19, 2009
Update - Google checkout has a function to help settle minor disputes between sellers and buyers (especially useful when the sellers refuse to reply to any emails)- in this case i sent a note to the Checkout team explaining that I never received my item. They then contacted Wrappers on my behalf and i've finally got my refund back, hurray!