vodafone - insurance

cgat

May 21, 2009
Hi can anyone help I recently upgraded my phone to a blackberry storm for work purposes and extended my contract with vodafone by a further 18 months. Being an expensive phone it cam with insurance for free ( for the 1st month) and then at a cost of £3.95 a month to cover for accidental damage, theft or loss. Anyway, I manage to damage/loose the phone by leaving it on the roof of my car at a motorway service station, as I drove off and joined the motorway, I saw in my rear view mirror my phone fly off and smash into small pieces under a truck but being on a motorway I couldnt stop and retrieve the phone I contacted Vodafone and they put me in touch with their insurers (at that point I hadn't realised that they were a third party). I expalined to tehm what had happened and after a short time they cam back to me saying they were that teh phone was not covered under their terms of conditions " theft or attempted theft from vehicle or premises left unattended.

I tried to argue that it wasn't theft but they informed me that once decision is made, it cannot be reversed and my only route is to appeal. I went to a vodafone store and explained what had happened to a customer advisor who was 'stunned' that I have been turned down by their insurers. They tried to contact the insurers but were powerless to do anything.

So I am left without a phone. I was advised to contact vodafone customer service which I did and explained the situation. I explained to them that Iwill be appealing the insurers decision but i requested, as an act of goodwill, if their was anything that Vodaofne could do to help my situation. They advised that teh only way I could get another storn phone as to pay for one £350.00+ or extend my contract by a further 6 months and pay approx £150.00 for the phone...basically they were treating it as an upgrade. I stated that I couldn't and wouldn't pay that amount of money for a new phone whilst I'm appealing against the insurers and felt aggrieved that the insurance was next to useless and the fact they were trying to tie me in for an even longer contract!

I was offered a very cheap mobile phone for free( and not contract extension) but I explained I needed a phone with certain level of specification for my work (which unfortunately means an expensive phone). I also pointed out that at no time did I receive information on teh insurance terms and conditions from vodafone when the phone arrived.

So , in summary , I am left with a long contract with no phone unless I win my appeal or a payout alotof money for anew phone or slightly less money and an extended contract.
My questions are:
1.What is the best way to appeal against the insurers.?
2.Can I get out of the vodafone contract?
3.Was it my obligation to find out what the terms of conditions are for the insurance policy? Moreover, I wasn't aware that the insurers were a separate company from vodafone whom have no say in their decision making process. can anyone help me???

cgat

May 21, 2009
thanks..they have sent me a letter today stating reason for refusal from their policy which does state leaving phone in a car etc... the only redress I have I suppose is the lack of any policy documents that vodafone should have supplied me and no knowledge that the insurers were a third party.. But is the onus on me to have found that out or at least ask for the policy?

c.

Banjogav

Aug 5, 2009
Exiting a Vodafone contract

You will find it difficult to exit this contract should you wish to. If Voda agree you will be asked tom return the equipment including all accessories and original packaging ( obviously you can't do that ) or pay them approximately £400 ( probably the exact amount will depend on how much contracty is left ). This figure covers the cost of the phone. Although they advertise the phones for free with these contracts they are in fact subsidised by the cost of the contract. In other words they are not free. I have recently asked to exit a contract with them and this is what I have been told.Also with regards to insurance. My son had a phone stolen from him. The thief simply took it from his jacket whilst it was unattended for a few moments at a party. The theft was reported to the police and a crime number was obtained. A claim was duly made against the insurance but this was turned down as apparently the theft was the wrong type and wasn't cobered. When queried the cover only applies to theft where the phone is violently stolen. Most of these insurances are not worth the paper they are written on. Far better is to see if, like myself, your bank offers free mobile insurance with certain types of account. I have this now and have made a claim which was settled very quickly with no quibble and a like for like replacement.

Last edited:

armregent

Oct 19, 2009
I lost my mobile in a fitness center. Actually it got stolen. But when I talked the insurance some of the staff asked me if the block was broken and I automatically said yes it was broken. Then they asked for an evidence and at that time I couldn't say anything. But in reality i didn't know how it was stolen and when. And then I told that maybe it was stolen from my coat while I was puting on my clothes but then they told me that I can't give them a second claim. so later they called me and told that my request was refused. So now I am going to make a big scandal about this insurance and how they work. Becasue in reality I didn't know how it got stolen and I am an international student and I didn't understand what did the staff mean when she said broke the locker. I want to say that vodafone with it's insurance is very unethical and cheating company. NEVER USE THEIR INSURANCE!!! I am going to put a big scandal about this even in newspapers.