Visa debit chargeback doesn't work like Credit Cards?!

Seiba

May 23, 2009
I paid for an online service via paypal. The service was not delivered so I started a paypal dispute. Found out they don't cover virtual goods and services so I made a chargeback claim... I paid directly from my visa debit card not using the PayPal balance thing.

Now my bank (Halifax) is telling they can't do anything. They tell me if the seller refuses to refund me they can't force the refund because I used a visa debit card, not a visa credit card. I read on the BBC that visa debit cards can refund consumers similar to credit cards but I keep getting told nothing can be done.

I've phoned up my bank and the customer service assistant asked two supervisors, each time she returns saying her information is 100% correct, and there's nothing they can do if the seller refuses to refund me.

So the seller takes my money, doesn't deliver service as promised, and there's nothing I can do?! This world's messed up! :mad:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Visa Chargeback

This is not uncommon, you need to persevere. The best approach is to send a letter as this will bypass the call centre that may be outsourced using staff with limited training or g o to your branch.

I guess you have seen this - visa chargeback

Seiba

May 23, 2009
I phoned up again today and was told to email them the email correspondence as evidence. I was even told today is the last day before my only option left is a court claim, lol.

Just sent them all his rude emails bragging how he's immune to court claims because he's in another country. It didn't look good when I referred to him as Sir but he referred to me as Moron. :D

Last edited: