Broken Nintendo DS bought at Argos

Mastadi

May 24, 2009
Hello.

I have bought a Nintendo DS for myself about two and a half years ago. It worked fine. However, recently, the right hinge from the top screen has broke off. It wasn't caused by improper use, basically, it just wore off.
However, the shop didn't agree for a free repair/replacement, claiming that since the item was bought over one year ago, I'll have to pay for repair (53 pounds, which is an absurd price). They claim it's Nintendo's policy.
I need help/suggestions on what to do?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hello,

Although the Sale of Goods act covers you for six years the nature of the goods is taken into account. For a small low-cost item such as a Nintendo DS that is 2.5 years old I think you will struggle to use your statutory rights to get it repaired or replaced for free. That is not to say you shouldn't try, but ultimately you may have to take Argos to the Small Claims Court and let the judge decide.

Tony

BTW I had a hinge fail on an old Compaq laptop and was able to get a new one quite cheaply and fixed it myself quite easily.

Tony

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
Surely if a company puts in their terms that it is a years warranty it should hold up, not trying to be mean but what about all those small businesses, they would all go under if people would try to bring back these things all those years later not to mention people wouldn'y look after their stuff if they knew they can get it fixed or replaced after years of abuse
:mad:

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I have to agree with Tony. Whilst the law says 'up to' six years, surely you could assume that if a hinge was being used most days for two and a half years it might be prone to wear and tear. If this had happened after a few months I think it would be a different matter.