Planting trees

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I do love planting trees and am lucky enough to have a bit of space in which to do so! What I have learnt over the years is that paying a lot for a large specimen is not worth the extra outlay. Smaller trees are cheaper and they tend to adapt more quickly to the shock of a new home, romping away and catching up with their more expensive fellows within as short time!

Last edited:

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I'm always quite shocked by the difference in prices between garden centres in the town and those outside. Inside town seems to mean a lot more expensive!

I've heard that online sites are a lot cheaper but I have never ordered any plants online. Does anybody know of any good garden sites for ordering plants from that are good value? I really do want to vamp up my garden but for as little as possible.

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
The only tree I have bought was an apple tree to put in garden, cost me £25 but kids love to see the apples growing although as yey they have never let them grow fullsize, I bought mines at the local garden centre but wanted to pick it myself not getting delivered so a bit more money saves me getting a scrawny tree that could be on it's last legs!
:)

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
One way to get cheap plants is to talk to anyone you know who has a garden! Gardeners love to share and most perennials are splittable - need to be split in fact - after a couple of years. I hate putting useful leftovers on the compost heap!
I have bought mail order with mixed results (sometimes small and weak plantlets), but I do prefer to go to nurseries as a first choice, or garden centres as a second, unless I want something very rare, in which case a rare plant seller by mail order is usually a safe bet, as they are usually enthusiasts.