Agghghghg - parking ticket

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I have just been given a parking ticket for having the wheels of my car just outside the parking bay in a car park. I had my ticket displayed. Is there any point in me trying to take this to court in the hope they throw it out when they get there or should I just pay my £60 fine, halved if I do it in the next two weeks, and grit my teeth?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I take it this is a private car park rather than a council one? If it is then it's just a money spinner but if it's a council owned car park I have a 100% record of getting parking tickets overturned and if you dispute the ticket, the lower rate applies until they have investigated it, even if the decision goes against you. Gotta be worth a go, what have you got to lose?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
A high percentage of parking tickets are overturned after appeal so it is definetely worth pursuing. I'm not sure what the procedure is (I assume you have some sort of appeal form that came with the ticket). You could also send a covering letter detailing why you think the fine should be overturned and enclose a copy of the parking ticket you had on display. Make sure you send the letter by recorded delivery and keep a note of all correspondence, dates, times, names etc.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
It was a council owned car park rather than a private one. I haven't got the ticket left - at least I don't think I have unless it's in pile on the floor. But it's good to hear about a 100 % overturn success rate so I will definitely write a letter to them. If I carry on then they must just give up on me rather than take me to court. Thanks both of you. Wish me luck!

annieharris

Jun 12, 2009
Parking tickets...

I have had a 99% success rate in having parking tickets overturned at my council-owned car park. The 1% failure was related to my parking ticket blowing off the dashboard (un-noticed) when I shut the car door. It actually landed readable side up on the passenger seat - easily noticeable and legible if you're peering at someone's windscreen - but they stated that the attendant 'shouldn't have to look' for the ticket?? Can't win 'em all...good luck!
I now have a standard letter template which I just adapt as required...

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Annie,

It would be great if you could share you letter...

Tony

BTW Welcome to the forum.

Buzby

Jul 7, 2009
Scotland
Firstly, is this another ticket?

You don't need to worry about court, most councils operate Decriminalised Parking schemes, so it'll simply be a debt (assuming they don't withdraw it when challenged). However, to succeed you will need to be sure your challenge is successful, and if your representations fail, you need to apply to the independent parking adjudicator - there are different ones for Scotland and London (and E&W).

You can have it reversed IF the signage is defective or not clear, or if there is no Regulation Order empowering the collection of fees at the car park. But if there is, and you did park over the lines you need to mention this in mitigation BEFORE it goes to an adjudicator, as they do not accept mitigation claims.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I did park over the lines (but have learnt my lesson!) and have just received a letter yesterday telling me that they find no reason to let me off this time. I told them I found it difficult getting in and out of the car and that the adjacent car parked very close leaving me no option but to move over a bit. Annieharris - that's a pretty impressive record. Well done but yes please, to echo Tony, if you could show all a template of the letter that would be great. Buzby were you asking me if I had every received tickets from this car park before? The answer is yes, I have and I wrote a letter and they let me off. I think that I had put my ticket on the wrong way around on the windscreen but just enlosed it and sent it with the letter. Anway, if anybody knows what I should write now that would be great as I really can't afford £6o and feel that it is unfair as the car next to me forced the issue. Many thanks.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Keep going Rachelle - say again what you have already said, and emphasise that it was actually their fault, for not policing other cars parked there, causing you problems!
Sometimes persistence pays off and it is worth the price of a stamp!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Ok Georginazn, I will do. I will keep you posted. They may just give up in the end (fingers crossed!).