Distance Selling Regulations and private web sales

hellekin

May 26, 2009
Can anyone offer me their thoughts on my situation?

I recently bought an audio book from an ebay type site (when I say "bought" I mean I didn't win it in an auction but purchased it outright).

When it arrived it turned out to be webdownloads of the book just burnt onto CD. It does not state in the description that it was webdownloads, although it was accurate in other regards.

I've contacted the seller within 2 days of the CD arriving and asked for a refund, but he is being awkward about refunding me.

In particular I've pointed out that he's displaying an image of the CD as it would be in the shop, which I think is misleading. He says that it was only there as an illustration - but doesn't state this next to the picture or anywhere else for that matter.

I believe that the Distance Selling Regulations apply to this case, even though I've bought from a private individual and not a company, so he should refund me regardless as I contacted him within 7 days of it arriving, but I'm not too sure.

Do the Distance Selling Regulations apply in this sort of case?

If so shouldn't these sites make sellers aware of their legal obligations?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Distance Selling Regulations - DSRs

Hi hellekin,

E-books are considered a service and are excluded from the DSRs unless the trader has agreed that you can cancel. This assumes that you gave agreement to start
the service before the end of the usual cancellation period and you received written information before you downloaded, including information that the
cancellation rights will end as soon as you start the download.

I agree the CD is misleading. Remember you can also do a chargeback if you paid with Visa, or any credit card if over £100. How did you pay?

hellekin

May 26, 2009
Dear Tony,

Thanks for replying.

Just to clarify, the seller had previously downloaded the chapters of the audio book from the web and burnt them to CD; this is what I was sold a disc of downloads.

I was expecting a proper commercial audio book on CD, recorded by the maunfacturer, as the image suggested.

Yes, I paid by credit card, but it was under £100.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Dear Tony,
Yes, I paid by credit card, but it was under £100.
Normally with shrink wrapped CDs, DVDs etc you can send them back as long as you haven't broken the seal. If there is no seal I am not sure where you stand I guess you can still send them back under the DSRs.

If you credit card was a Visa you can still do a chargeback

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I expect your best source of redress would be the hosting site of this ebay-style purchase - surely they have T&Cs for selling and/or best practice guides for sellers?