Cold calling and security checks

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I recently had a call from Natwest, wanting to discuss my account, and asking for my name, address, mother's maiden name… I politely replied that I wasn't willing to give out that kind of information to someone who claimed to be from my bank phoning completely out of the blue, identity theft, security issues and so on. I expected understanding, and some sort of attempt at reassurance. What I got was a sharp reply stating that unless I answered the security questions I wouldn't be able to discuss my account with her.

Needless, to say the conversation didn't go much further.

If the banks insist on cold calling their customers then isn't it about time they set up some sort of system whereby we could identify that we are actually speaking to the bank.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Well done Tracy.

Best advice I can think of is to always offer to call them back (obviously not on a number they give you!)

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Sounds a bit suspect! Well done for thinking on your feet - as they were the ones who wanted to discuss things her response was a bit lame, and I am sure a 'real' financial provider would have understood your concern. Did you phone the bank afterwards to check it out??

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
The banks always tell you never to give out your password in full. Well done for not doing it as often embarrassment of thinking the worst of somebody makes us do stupid things. Am pretty sure I'm silly enough to divulge information - but anybody out there reading please don't try!

hip-consultant.co.uk

Premium Member
Mar 13, 2009
www.hip-consultant.co.uk
I recently had a call from Natwest, wanting to discuss my account, and asking for my name, address, mother's maiden name… I politely replied that I wasn't willing to give out that kind of information to someone who claimed to be from my bank phoning completely out of the blue, identity theft, security issues and so on. I expected understanding, and some sort of attempt at reassurance. What I got was a sharp reply stating that unless I answered the security questions I wouldn't be able to discuss my account with her.

Needless, to say the conversation didn't go much further.

If the banks insist on cold calling their customers then isn't it about time they set up some sort of system whereby we could identify that we are actually speaking to the bank.
Completely agree !!

I also refuse to give this information out and they often seem shocked. It these times of identity theft one must be very vigilant. Igt suprises me they are suprised when they preach vigilance themselves !!