towels rails rusting after 2 1/2 years

deiter

May 28, 2009
Hi everyone,

I will explain the problem briefly we had installed 2 chrome towel rails which run off our heating system,and in approx 2 1/2 years they have shown sign's of rusting one is worse than the other.
We contacted the place of purchase who found the paperwork and they contacted the manufacturer who responded with they have a 12month warranty and that's it.We have not used any abrashive material to clean them we have used an inhibitor in the system.
Does anybody have any advice as to our next step,the seller has referred us to the manufacturer to try and resolve this ourselves these were not particually cheap either.
Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Deiter.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Firstly, you should be dealing with the retailer and the retailer only. That's who your contract is with.

I believe that you would have to prove that they were not fit for purpose, but obviously if you can do that they would be obliged to try and fix your problem.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Deiter,

Chutzpah is right you are not making a warranty claim, your statutory rights protect you here:

What are my statutory rights? | Consumer Information

You would expect a towel rail to last longer than two years, although this does depend on price paid.

Phone them and tell them you would like a repair or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act and if that doesn't do the trick phone your local Trading Standards office.

Tony

deiter

May 28, 2009
Thank you Chutzpah & Tony for your advice,I had contacted the seller who said the manager will call you back,and instead I had a call from the manufacturer who said they would send a replacement pair out bill the shop where we brought them from they then bill us again for £600 then if they were found to be faulty we would get a refund,I said we are not paying again for these,and responded with we will get an independant assessment,she said I will get back to you.I am annoyed as to why the manufacturer has got my details and why are they getting involved when my contract is with the shop,so I will take your advice and contact the shop again and mention the sale of goods act,
Thank you again,
Deiter.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Towelrails

As they were £600 you would expect them to last longer than 30 months under normal use!

Tony

deiter

May 28, 2009
As they were £600 you would expect them to last longer than 30 months under normal use!

Tony
Which is why I will contact the shop again tomorrow this was for the pair I hasten to add not each,