Do I definitely need a receipt?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
A friend bought me a necklace as a present but gave me the receipt saying I could take it back if it didn't suit me. It doesn't and I really want to but can't find the receipt anymore. Is my only alternative to go back to the friend and ask her to find proof of purchase or do you think there is any chance the shop would exchange it anyway? I think it's obvious it came from the shop as it's in a lovely box, etc, etc. Is the shop bound by law to only exchange on proof of purchase or do you think I could be lucky with a nice person behind the till?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
They aren't bound to do anything at all as unwanted products are not covered in consumer law.

I would say it's worth going in, being polite and trying to get an exchange. Be open and honest and admit it was a present (I know some people would be tempted to say they bought it but I can't see what difference that makes).

If the store insist on proof of purchase ask your friend if they bought it with a credit or debit card as their bank statement would hopefully be accepted by them if you wanted an exchange.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I agree with Chutzpah - if you are pleasant and reasonable, there is a good chance that they will exchange. The contract is with the shop and your friend, so you don't have any rights in this transaction. Your friend does not need a receipt if the goods are faulty, but as the product is perfect, the store is not under any obligations to exchange or refund. I have exchanged in these circumstances and never had a problem!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks - I will give it a go. I have actually just come back from a shop where I asked them if I could take back a dress as it didn't suit me. They gave me a credit note which I guess is fair enough. At least they've always got lovely things in there and on a rainy day when I'm feeling depressed I can go in there!