Faulty Tv out of warranty

adamuk82

Jun 3, 2009
I wonder if someone could help me please. I bought a Lg Lcd tv sometime ago. it was dec 05. I had the tv 11months and it blew, i had it repaired under warranty, and they replaced the power board (or something like that). I was paying for the service 'what ever happens' which was £5 a month and basically guaranteed me a repair or replacement etc, i stopped this august 2008, and my tv has now broken again. I searched the internet and people with this model of tv seem to have the exact same problem(s). (Break in first year, then break again) Same symptoms. This seems to be a fault in this particular model.

I have called 'what ever happens', they don't want to know anything, as i no longer pay. I then phoned LG who said they can't do anything as its out of warranty, but the guy was nice enough to give me the LG help desk email and see if i got any luck. I wrote them a strongly worded email, giving history and problems and that many others had same problem and that i felt they should be repairing or replacing them, to which they reply with basically, sorry we can't, its out of warranty, and basically the problems are with Curry's who i bought it with, i should take it up with them.

What rights do i have on this one? ive read up on the Sales of goods act and it sounds like i have a case, as far a durability is concerned. What is the life expectancy of these products? ive read that an lcd should last 50,000 to 60,000 hours. Well ive had tv for about 3 and half years, even if i watched it 24hours a day this is only half the life expectancy. or is this not the case? is the life expectancy different?

adamuk82

Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply Tony. I went onto consumer directs website and ended up giving them a call. They were brilliant, they said i have a great case. They logged the whole case and then sent me a template letter out in the post with all the relevant para's from the sales of goods act. I need to send this to Curry's where i bought tv from and if i don't get any luck, they told me to give them a call and they will take it further. Basically, they said themselves a Tv should be lasting at least 5 Years. I will probably have to get an engineer out and get a report on tv to prove to Curry's that its a Manufacturer's fault and not misuse. Once through, i can claim for engineers cost and repair or replacement. Fingers crossed !!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update. It would be great for others if you could post your letter.

Consumer Direct are great, but are not as good as your local Trading Standards office - they will right the letter for you : )

Keep us posted

adamuk82

Jun 3, 2009
I have now sent my letter away and i await reply. I will post what happens next. Please see template letter which i have sent below.

[Your name, address, tel no.(right aligned)]​

[Date (left aligned)]
[Owner name (left aligned)]
[retailer name address (left aligned)]​

Dear [Owner/Manager's name or Sir/Madam]

Sales of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On [date of purchase], I bought a [insert description of what you bought, e.g. 37" Lg RX765 LCD Television] from you for £xxxx which is not as described / not of satisfactory quality / or fit for purpose made known (delete as apropriate).

The problems are: [list the faults, for instance]

1. No picture
2. No sound
3. Standby button flashing red

Inserting either:

I wish to claim a repair/ i wish to reject the goods and claim a replacement/partial refund/refund [delete as appropriate]

or

I complained about this to you [insert date of your telephone call(s) (if applicable). I have heard nothing since .....

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours sincerely/yours faithfully

[Name]

- Sign just above your name
- Take a photocopy of this letter for yourself, make sure you note the date you send it, so you will know when 14 days is up
- Include a receipt or proof of purchase if possible, but make sure it is a copy, not the actual receipt.
- if you sent a letter previously, enclose a copy, with the current letter.
- Send by recorded delivery, so you can prove you sent it and track delivery.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update, a threat would be a good addition i.e. no response within 14 days and I'll start a small claim.

adamuk82

Jun 3, 2009
Received a reply after a week saying that they were very sorry to hear i was having these problems and that basically as it was out of warranty they were going to pass the details onto the head office customer service department. They said we will contact you in the very near future. I thought this was just an excuse to get an extra few weeks to reply as i had requested contact within 14days. but surely enough i got a letter from the head office, about 4 days later. It said

I am concerned to learn the difficulties that you are experiencing with your LG tv and apologise for the frustration and disappointment caused. We understand that products can develop a fault outside the guarantee period.

Please could you provide us with an independent engineer's report, to assist our investigations. This report must state the nature of the fault, its probable cause, diagnostic procedures used and the total cost of the repair showing a breakdown of labour charges. If the television cannot be repaired, this must be stated.

Should your claim be successful, you will be reimbursed for the cost of this report. Once we are in possession of the above information, your claim will be given our full attention. Please accept my apologise for any further inconvenience or delay you have been caused during the conclusion of this matter.

So my next task is to get a tv engineer. Fingers crossed again.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update. Make sure they are happy with the company you choose otherwise you will have more problems.

Tony

tobyjugg

Jan 13, 2011
Tony, Adam etc - I know these are old posts, but I now have a similar problem, so your posts are still helpful. I have a small 15" Goodmans TV bought from Macro 18 months ago with Freeview. The picture started going leaving a big blue screen with 'No DTV input' so I thought I was having problems with the Aerial. Called out Aerial engineer 6 months ago when the problem first started happening and he couldn't find the cause. Called another more experienced Aerial engineer out a couple of weeks ago and he explained that the Freeview inside the Telly had gone. I could still tune into Analogue channels, but not Freeview. He has recommended getting a Set top box that I can buy for ca £30 (or less), but I am thinking of taking the Telly back to Macro first to see if there's any chance that I can get a refund or some sort of replacement, even though the Warranty has run out (it was a 12 month guarantee).