Reasonable bank charges - do they exist?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
We have finished the purchase of a small property - and the moving - thank goodness. During the transaction we were forced to make several 'telegraphic transfers' at £30 each for bank charges.
It seems to me that the charges were excessive, the money was transferred electronically - certainly no telegrams were generated! When I suggested that I could simply take out the cash and carry it over the road to the solicitor, as he did not want to take a bank cheque or debit card, that method was also refused.
When a mortgage is arranged, few people will back out due to bank charges - so the banks know they have a 'captive' client, who will accept nearly any charges imposed.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
They can take the mick as they all do it. It's simple game theory - to not say anything makes them more money.

Remember Virgin and BA colluding on fuel surcharges? Virgin eventually admitted it to the authorities, but it went on for years. How many big companies do you think are colluding today?

(Petrol companies for one.... I know for a fact they phone each other each day to find out how much each garage is charging)

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Tesco and Sainsbury do the same - that is comparison and not illegal. It is good business to know the charges of one's competitors.
However it would be illegal to colude in fixing prices amongst a cartel of suppliers of a product.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
It is good business to know the charges of one's competitors.
Agreed.

However it would be illegal to colude in fixing prices amongst a cartel of suppliers of a product.
Indeed.

Tesco and Sainsbury do the same - that is comparison and not illegal.
Not necessarily. There is something called tacit collusion, which is when two or more businesses fix prices without necessarily saying so. Under EU Competition law, if the legal eagles investigated Tesco and found that when Sainsbury put the price of sugar up Tesco mirror it every time, even without an increase in the cost from the supplier, they could get into trouble.

A lot, lot harder to prove, granted. But just as frowned up in law.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
The large company supermarkets have very good lawyers, who keep their actions marginally on the correct side of the law. As do airlines and other large businesses.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Virgin and BA's lawyers didn't keep them on the right side of the law! And they were all taking to task for unclear pricing, so maybe marginally on a side of the law, but generally falling just on the wrong side perhaps.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Weren't some supermarkets recently found guilty of fixing some dairy costs? I'm obviously not sure of my facts and maybe I just imagined this? Does anybody out there know. If it's true then I feel as though really we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and cynically imagine that quite alot does.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Many businesses can calculate the likely, and maximum, penalties which may be imposed. They can then calculate it in as a business cost and consider if breaking law is profitable.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
happywriter, you've hit a big nail on the head there. Often the fines for illegal business practices, despite sometimes running into hundreds of millions, are pittance compared to what the company makes from their endeavours.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
The same is true of all penalties for illegal activity. Penalties should match the person to whom they are being applied. A £100 fine means a lot to some, but the cost of a meal to others.
If there were effective, meaningful, penalties for the frauds which many MP's have carried out - and mostly got profitably away with - they might not have attempted them.
At least it has taught the UK public that few of their politicians have morals.