Freeview TV, make sure your aerial is aligned for the best station.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Freeview digital TV is now available in many or most areas of UK, however there is one aspect of the service which is not being widely advertised.
The broadcast coverage is made in 'groups'. Each group has one central main transmitter antenna, with several relay smaller transmitters dependant upon the main antenna providing coverage to distant locations.
Only the main transmitter station will have all the freeview channels, currently 48 channels. The relay stations only have approximately 18 channels, which is due to technical limitations on the number of channels available on the radio spectrum in any one area.
There are many locations which will be able to receive adequate signals from both the main transmitter station and a relay station. With the old analogue system it may have been advantageous to receive from the relay station - however with the new digital system it will mean accepting fewer channels than may be available by merely changing the direction of the existing rooftop antenna.
If you have doubts about the number of channels that are available at your location, go to www.freeview.co.uk/freeview and check the alternative transmitter stations which may be available. This may indicate that more channels are available, if your location can receive from the main transmitter of the group.
If so, it is advisable to request the services of an aerial installer. Check in your area by contacting:
- Confederation of Aerial Industries (CAI) (CAI) Telephone 01923 803030
- Registered Digital Installers (RDI) (RDI) Telephone 08456 505050

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I am lucky I can see the Winter transmitter from my front room a portable aerial is enough to get all the channels...

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I am a little peeved, the number of freeview channels that a person receives is dependant on 'post-code lottery', but everybody pays the same TV license fees - (apart from many MP's, of course)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
They have tackled this by providing freesat as some people can't get any channels - freesat - Home

The picture quality is much better and there are high-definition broadcasts for free

Tony