Purchase whilst on holiday in Thailand

flaney

Aug 19, 2008
I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this thread, or if anyone can help me...

Whilst on holiday in Thailand I purchased a ring from Gems Gallery, Bangkok when on a trip organised by Tour East. The ring cost £400 - so a sizeable amount, in my opinion and came with a 'life-time' guarantee on goods and services. I also have a certificate (if that is worth anything!).

I did not wear the ring during the holiday for fear of losing it in the sea! When I did return after 3 weeks, I put on the ring and by lunch time I noticed that the topaz stone was missing (the stone had been set using claws).

I immediately contacted the company by email. When I had not received a reply after 4 days, I contacted my VISA company who tried to ring Gems and had no reply, but because I purchased the ring using chip n pin, I have no come-back there (they did try to help).

I emailed all of the Gem's stores, their head office and the tour company. Eventually about 2 weeks later, I received a reply offering 2 options:

1. They would send a replacement stone and I would have to pay the cost of having it re-set
2. Give it to someone who is visiting Thailand and they would repair it

I find neither of the above satisfactory and have emailed them saying so. I have now requested that I either receive a full refund or a new ring. No reply as yet.

I am, however dubious as to whether they will agree. Does anyone have any advice as to my position with this foreign company? Not only am I peeved at having spent so much money, but this was to be a souvenir of a special holiday.

Thank you :cool:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Consumer Credit Act Overseas

Hi Flaney,

Welcome to the forum. Equal liability under section 75 of the consumer credit act covers foreign purchases, so Visa is equally liable ASSUMING that it was a Visa credit card and not a debit card. You should have a look at this:

Foreign Credit Card Transactions - New Protection | Consumer Information

Do let us know how you get on? From my personal experience the Credit Card companies do not like this act and will try to wriggle out of it by claiming they are not liable for this reason or that. I think they may have already tried it on with you as the fact you used chip and pin is irrelevant.

Best regards,

Tony