have you had dealings with...

johnno002

Jun 7, 2009
Newsrx.com?
I think i might be going a bit nuts here :eek:
Just recently I stumbled on a story about the World Health Organisation supposedly administering anti-pregnancy vaccine to women in the Philippines without their knowledge via a legitimately organised tetanus campaign.
Fairly standard conspiracy theory stuff about population control and most of the articles I followed up on were the usual non-referenced or mis-referenced stuff mainly from anti-abortionists.
Usually with these kind of things theres always an element of the truth and I did manage to find a number of balanced articles on both sides of the argument.
No worries there then :rolleyes:
But heres where Newsrx comes in.
They sell themselves as an online library of health news keeping a large data base of reports, studies and research articles on all kinds of medical conditions.
While I was researching the contraception issue I found myself on their site maybe half a dozen times. It's a pay for view site and each article or study piece will cost you $3 to download.
I didn't use the service and it was always the same article which was referenced until my last visit and then I was offered access to an article I had already seen.
Which I thought was kind of ok. If they are researching compiling and storing stuff which is already out there then it saves somebody that hassle and they're not fleecing them. But it was cheeky :p so I thought I'd check them out.
So, here's my conspiracy bit and the bit which is driving me absolutely bonkers and which makes me think that they must be scamming somehow.
Like I do with any retail site I've never heard of I do a search on google to see what comes up.
I checked them out on Whois and everything seems ok there but I can't really tell a lot from that kind of info anyway.
Then I tried things like newsrx followed by 'problem' or 'scam' and 'review' and each time I got loads of results.
But all were for articles from newsrx about 'problems' or 'scams' or 'reviews' or from publicity sites which tell you about what newsrx offer.
Now this is a pay for view site with a standard retail basket and checkout system and which according to the blurb has been going for a number of years.
Next I tried searching in quotes 'heard of newsrx' 'called newsrx' 'found it at' 'I like' ....hoping to get a forum or a comment somewhere from a real person saying how much they liked or disliked or indiffered(?) about the site.
Not one single opinion. Nothing. And I genuinely felt like I was being manipulated. Like nwsrx was always one step ahead of the game.
I tried blogs and groups I tried .doc and .txt and .pdf filetype only searches and even a link: to see which sites link to it!!
Zero. Not one person who has bought from the site has ventured an opinion anywhere about quality? acuracy? relevance? cost?
I just can't believe that.
There are forums on the net about the merits of BBC testcards and people actually comment on Youtube videos.:D
Somebody will blab... about something.
Anyway if anybodys heard of these folk or are curious enough to even visit and give an opinion I'd be really pleased
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: