Evening classes

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Going for a chat with an evening class organiser tomorrow - I might run one on handbag making.
Got me wondering if anyone has ever done a class that changed their life (for the good!!)
Our local college has a very limited range of classes - mostly of the GCSE variety, which are great, but dull! I envy other areas who get Indian Head Massage, and Co-counselling! Has anyone taken a fun class that has set them in a new direction?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
The only classes I have done have been work related, and none particularly life changing. I'd love to do something creative, something hands on, a course that's less stressful and more enjoyable. My local college has a good range of courses. I might take a look at their prospectus, see if anything catches my eye.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I did a DTP course that did change my direction but now the list of ones that I want to go on are endless. It all comes down to money at the end of the day. Here's what I would like to do:
Knitting
Pottery
Sewing
Upholstery
Languages - French and Danish
Vegetable Growing and Flower arranging!
Painting

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Don't know if it's my area, but the person I talked to at the college was very cynical about the success of craft skills courses. She says the 'take up' is very poor (although she loved my bags - Thank Goodness). I do think one of the problems with that is with the college, as they don't let classes use their sewing room, so people are expected to bring their own - if they have them. I took classes in the past for access to facilities I did not have such as pottery kilns etc. One of them for a lot of people might well be a sewing machine! And her attitude to knitting was not to use an expert and enthusiast, but "one of our lecturers who can knit". In the classes I have been to the enthusiasm and active work in the field of the trainer has been crucial. Cut backs!!! Sheeesh!!!!
Your list is great Rachelle - would make for an interesting prospectus!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I'm really surprised to read that classes would not be allowed to use the college sewing room and would be expected to bring their own sewing machine. No wonder turn out would be poor. I would love to do a craft class, though the idea of transporting my own sewing machine (big, bulky and heavy) to and from the college on a weekly basis just to take the class is crazy.