Measure measure measure

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Just been reading a post about moving furniture, which got me thinking about getting furniture delivered.
I used to work for a well known British company, and often had calls from irate purchasers when the delivery men refused to place furniture where the buyer wanted, or even to take it indoors.
They are not obliged to! Usually they are more than happy to help, but if there is the slightest chance that they will scrape wallcoverings or damage property in any way, they cannot risk it.
Best advice I can give is measure, measure, measure. Check the width of doors and corridors - it is not the seller's responsibility to check that you can get the piece in, or to refund if you can't! Sofas especially, do seem huge these days so check and check again before you order that they fit, or dismantle easily.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
It's amazing how a sofa can get wedged in a door frame and then takes an enormous amount of effort to get it unstuck - way in excess of the effort it took to get it wedged there!

I know this from bitter experience of agreeing to help a lady friend move flats. Her brother and I spent ages trying to get the damned thing free.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Ha! Yes! There are an awful lot of 'Sod's Laws' connected with moving furniture! I have had two occasions to remove door frames for the insertion of furniture, and pretty it is not!!! When DH once considered taking out a window, I drew the line and I have never been without a tape measure in my bag, and a note of house door widths since!!!!