Ikea Floor Tiles Scratched What Are My Rights?

Susie

Jun 8, 2009
Nottingham
At the end of December I bought some Ikea floor tiles (polycarbonate) and was over the moon with them. The assistant knew I wanted them for my lounge and we spent sometime working out sizing etc. I read the information leaflet from beginning to end and followed their instructions and noted that although there was a comment that "damaged tiles could easily be replaced" nowhere was there any warning or suggestion that extra special care should be taken with furniture etc.

Within a couple of weeks of laying them I noticed what looked like dust by the area where Ikea's Poang chairs touched the floor, I was amazed to discover that it was in fact scratching. I phoned Ikea who eventually suggested I write with photographs which I did also asking if they could a) perhaps locate some more tiles to exchange them with, or b) suggest some form of repair. After 3 to 4 weeks I received a letter stating, what I already knew and had mentioned to them, what had caused the scratching and suggesting I bought some of their furniture protectors which were available in their Home Shop! I wrote again repeating my request and finally they sent an Inspector who took more photographs, tried scratching the tiles with a finger nail and then said it was Ikea's Poang chairs which were causing the problem not the tiles which were at fault.

I received a phone call - which I missed - leaving a message saying the Inspector said the tiles weren't at fault it was the furniture and "the way I used it" (which he did not put on the copy of the form which should have been sent to Ikea) and when I eventually managed to get a Customer Service person to call me back she came on the phone saying she understood I needed advice in cleaning the tiles - that had never been mentioned at all - it is quite clear in the leaflet and perfectly easy to clean the tiles! I repeated again my requests and her reply was that the tiles were discontinued, there weren't any and basically "tough" they couldn't do anything else for me.

I'm appalled and incensed by their attitude which is worse than having a floor which isn't up to the job it was sold for and quite clear that nobody in Customer Service reads any letter sent to them. They appear only to be focused on shifting any possible blame to anyone other than themselves. Their leaflets did not warn how delicate the tiles finish is and I don't believe it is a product where you would expect it to be such a delicate finish. It is their own furniture which has scratched their tiles and surely this should have been found in pre-production testing, or at least soon after initial marketing and a suitable warning then added to their information leaflet.

I apologise for the very long post but does anyone know if I have any comeback at all with Ikea?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and wlecome to the forum. It does sound like these tiles are not fit for purpose and are prone to scratching - I wonder why they were discontinued... You need to send them a letter stating that you would like the tiles repaired or replaced as your statutory rights have been breached. These are defined in the Sale of Goods Act 1974. Give them 14 days to repsond otherwise you will report them to Trading Standards and start a Small Claim - this is easier and cheaper than it sounds.

Hope this helps

Tony

Susie

Jun 8, 2009
Nottingham
Thanks Tony for your quick reply. I shall have a look at the Sale of Goods Act 1974 as you suggest and decide what to do next. I don't mind admitting that Ikea's Customer Service Department has left me feeling more than a little drained as well as angry!