xbox360 problems

madmazz

Jun 9, 2009
at xmas i bought my son an xbox 360 and now 6months on it wont work
i got in touch with xbox and give them the product serial number and they informed me that the warranty on the xbox had ran out in november 2007 but i didnt buy it until december 2008 so i have been back to the store where i bought it and they said they only give out 28day guarantees so i emailed their customer services and explained to them about the faulty xbox and they said the assistant was right so i have been back in touch with them about the warranty and have not heard back i did not pay full price for the product as i got it at sale price as it was the last one in stock i used my credit card to pay so what rights have i got here and what can be done about the store where ibought it (a big supermarket chain)

please help

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Madmaz,

There are two separate issues here:

1. The warranty contract is not correct. Do you have proof of purchase? This could be used to prove when it was purchased to get the xbox fixed under warranty.

2. Your statutory rights have been breached as you have been sold a faulty Xbox. When exactly did you buy it as your rights are slightly different when it is less than six months from the date of purchase. Basically, the item is assumed to be faulty when it was delivered and the store has to prove otherwise.

You could pursue this using either route, but not both. I am assuming you have proof of purchase - this could be the credit card statement.

The shop is also breaking the law by telling you what they told you, so you should report them to trading standards to they can be reeducated. I also wonder whether they sold you a second-hand Xbox as new.

Tony

madmazz

Jun 9, 2009
thanks tony i bought the xbox in december 2008 and the warranty expired 29th november 2007 and yes i have proof of purchase but i am still waiting to hear back and see what will happen if anything

madmazz

Jun 9, 2009
xbox

thanks tony i bought the xbox in december 2008 and the warranty expired 29th november 2007 and yes i have proof of purchase but i am still waiting to hear back and see what will happen if anything
hi tony i have just found bank statement with purchase date on and i actually bought the xbox in march this year and not december 2008 like i thought so have only had the console 3 months which makes it worse in a way but i still haven,t heard back from the store

madmazz

Jun 9, 2009
re thanks

Did you contact them in writing giving them 14 days To respond
thanks i have not contacted them in writing yet i emailed them i am going to send them another email today giving them 7 days or i am going to report them to trading standards as it is not good enough

madmazz

Jun 9, 2009
thanks

thankd for reply i rang sainsburys customer services yesterday and spoke them about these issues and they are now going to take them to head office to see what can be done and then get back in touch with me so will let you know what happens

joeylux

Oct 12, 2009
I bought my XBOX 360 in April 2006. I had the Red Ring Of Death in April 2008 and it was repaired under warranty.
The other day I got the RROD again, but now Xbox want to charge me £80 to get it repaired because it's out of warranty. Do i have any rights in this case or am i stuck with shoddy workmanship and a £250 doorstop?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

etsbed

Nov 17, 2009
I bought my XBOX 360 in April 2006. I had the Red Ring Of Death in April 2008 and it was repaired under warranty.
The other day I got the RROD again, but now Xbox want to charge me £80 to get it repaired because it's out of warranty. Do i have any rights in this case or am i stuck with shoddy workmanship and a £250 doorstop?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
hi , microsoft should have told you that for the rrod the warranty is extended to 3 years