boiler broken in new build.

bcapron

Jun 9, 2009
My wife and bought a new build 3 1/2 years ago.

The boiler has broken and needs to be replaced. It is out of warranty.

Are we within our rights to contact the developers and ask for a free repair or replacement under the sale of goods act? A 3 1/2 years lifetime for a boiler IMO is not reasonable and I think I can say that it was not fit for purpose.

My only worry is that because the boiler came with the flat it may not be covered by the sale of goods act?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I suggest that you look at the 'consumer rights' section on the home page of this site.
3 1/2 yrs is a pretty iffy time for any item. You would need to clarify what was the problem, and to show that it had been correctly maintained during your ownership.
If the problem was that it had corroded though, then replacement might be the only solution. If a pump or valve needed replacing then obviously the same would not apply.

PaulWhittyWhite

Nov 7, 2014
My wife and bought a new build 3 1/2 years ago.

The boiler has broken and needs to be replaced. It is out of warranty.

Are we within our rights to contact the developers and ask for a free repair or replacement under the sale of goods act? A 3 1/2 years lifetime for a boiler IMO is not reasonable and I think I can say that it was not fit for purpose.

My only worry is that because the boiler came with the flat it may not be covered by the sale of goods act?
Question is was the boiler serviced every year? As some boiler manufacturers expect this to be the case, else they can refuse to honour the warranty (if it wasn't serviced every year). Not sure if you're in the North West, but when I thought my boiler was completely conked out - I had it looked at by the team from STL Heating, they were able to actually mend it - and it's been A1 ever since. Sure it wasn't free to get fixed, but, on review - the quote they made was good enough and the boiler's been fine ever since.