Moving tips

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Because my Dad was in the RAF we moved all the time, then when I got married we still kept moving even though I swore I would stay in one place forever when I grew up!! (managed it now!!) I became very adept at packing and unpacking.
Having got to one place in the evening, with a dog and food, but no tin opener, I think there is no better advice than to pack one box for your own car, containing a basic toolset, loo paper, a tin opener, a camping gas stove (which I saw in an El Cheapo for £7.99 the other day), a stove kettle, a box of matches, candles, and tea, milk, coffee and the most luxurious biscuits you can afford. Just in case.
Anyone add to the list?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Yes, always knowing where the loo roll, kettle and tea bags are is an absolute must - my parents have always helped me move (eight times since I went to university!) and there would be hell to pay if those weren't to hand.

I've often picked up keys a couple of days before the move for logistical reasons (it's easier to the move if you don't have to factor in picking up the keys too) and occassionally because I was actually working in that town and it was better than commuting, and I have to admit I always miss the experience of a completely empty house, sleeping on the floor and just having a radio and a book for company.

Once you move your stuff in it's endless organising and tidying until you move out again.

Maybe Feng Shui has something going for it after all.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Reading that has almost made me want to move again: there is something very exciting about both last and first nights. The last, when your material life is squeezed into boxes that will (hopefully) fit into one wagon and all you have to hand is the essentials, and everything ahead is new and changed, and the first when as you say, life is very pure and fresh!

keriSt09

Jun 18, 2009
Unfortunately moving is a lot of hard work but it is also very exciting. It is definitely true that there is something special about the last and the first night. I totally agree to this.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Moving is certainly hard work and stressful, and though I have always found the last and first nights exciting, I also find them very emotional. Leaving a home has always left a lump in my throat, walking away from the familiar surroundings, closing that door and moving on, and my first night's sleep in a new place is usually restless. It does take me quite a while to settle in a new home.

As for moving tips, boxes, boxes, boxes and more boxes. You can never have too many boxes.