Used car warranty...

annieharris

Jun 12, 2009
Bought used car 12 days ago, twice symbol has come up on dashboard, warning 'anti-pollution fault' and car immediately lost power, and crawled the remaining 30 miles home at 45mph - in a 1.6 Turbo diesel...5 yrs old, vgc on outside, 73,000 miles.

After first time, went into dealer next morning, explained fault, received a casual explanation, ('you've just filled it up? Oh, that light will come on in these cars sometimes when they've got a full tank' ...). I asked for detail of the 3 month warranty, as nothing given to me in writing other than reference to '3 month warranty - £500' on the invoice. Told a written warranty not available.

After second time (last night) returned car to dealer this morning, they are looking at it, have given me courtesy car - BUT when asked dealer again for written detail of the warranty - he stated that they haven't got one ' I could type one up for you but it's just what I told you the other day - it covers the 'big stuff' such as the engine and gearbox'. In light of the fact I've hardly used the car, (and I think it may be the catalytic converter, costly to replace/repair, and could arguably be left out of the 'big stuff' criteria), I am now concerned at being landed with a fat garage bill! Can I insist that the dealer provides me with detail of what exactly is covered, and not, by the 3 month warranty?

As a separate comment, I certainly don't believe the car is fit for purpose...
Would appreciate advice on my current position, especially re; warranty issue.
Thanks
Annie

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Annie,

Apologies for the delay, but it sounds like you have been sold some snakeoil. I have just bought a car and it came with a three-month warranty from MotorCare all signed and relevant info completed. I think you should speak to your local Trading Standards. My policy is mostly exclusions, so something like this may not be covered. However, the trader should fix it rather than trying to fob you off. Have you done a Google for the fault there are often forums dedicated to specific makes and models? Again, metion this to Trading Standards when you call them.

Tony

lafinjoe

Aug 1, 2009
dublin, ireland
26 hours in the dealership and two faulty cars..

Hi

my name is zoltan and i am hungarian nationality living in ireland.

i tried to buy a car for my self on the 22nd of july at car giant, london.

before i called i was informed about the method of payments and and the procedures etc...it is takes at least two hours to collect the car..
i told them, i can pay with halifax visa debit card or with bank transfer.

i flew to the uk and booked the ferry from holyhead to the same day.

i had appointment with the sales guy at 1'30 pm

i was interesting in honda accords, he showed me tow which was fit to my budget and i chose a silver one.
i had to pay a deposit 400 pounds: i used my debit card and paid cash 200.

the sales guy had concerned about halifax debit card, but the transaction gone through, so everything was fine.

at 4 pm when i paid the rest of the money with my halifax debit card, the cashier said it is not accepted here as a method of payment.

she talked to the accounts and said, if i want the car i have to produce bank draft or money transfer...

i my ferry was due at 9'30 from holyhead...

they send me to the local halifax and after one hour wasted time there, they said they can not help me.

back in the car giant i called my bank and ordered a 24hrs express money transfer for extra 20 pounds.

but because it was 6 pm, the money was available only next morning so i booked the hotel and booked another ferry for next day 6pm.

next morning 10 am, they had a fax from halifax about the money transfer, but the account manager spend 50 minutes on the "confirmation call"with them.

at 12 noon i have the car...happy days...
until i am not driving the car: honda accord diesel 2005.

after 1-2 miles i smelled smoke in the car and i i find out it is not from out side it is from the engine...smoke in the cabin...

i turned back and with a headache i returned the car and i decided to get another one with less mileage and marks on the paint but the same price.

because of the time was tight i had the book another ferry, because the admin work took almost 2 and half hours...

i drove to the ferry and home and next day i take the car to the honda dealer to serviced; they said the engine is faulty; the timing chain (which is usually last life time) is gone and alternator bearing is overhaul.

bang!!!!

the estimated cost is about 800-1100 pounds with everything..

these parts are covered with warranty if you nhave the full service history.

they send a fax to car giant, but car giant said there is no service history and car giant want more details about the nature of the fault...

today is the 4 th august and i am looking for the possibility to bring the car back to car giant, get full refund and if i can get a legal help, claim my expenses, (ferry, hotel, flights) back.

anyone has an idea how can i start?

thanks
zoltan
dublin