Toshiba Laptop - Currys

67jojomin

Jun 12, 2009
I am after a bit of advice on where I stand on this situation.....?

My laptop is 6 months old, last week the hard disk crashed and the laptop was returned to the tech guys for investigation. after just 6 days it was returned with a technical report saying what had been done (including a statement that it had been booted to the operating system with no errors). when i boot it up it has a toshiba logo saying please wait installing..... after over an hour i called the tech guys and was informed - wait for it -

that there was no operating system and i should have taken a backup (was not told to) as i dont have it i will need to purchase a new operating system. I have spoken to at least 10 different people, customer services, techguys and 2 stores and getting the same answer. Has anyone experienced similar, would did you do were do i stand. Surely it is not right as the item is no longer fit for purpose?

Thanks
Jo

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Jo,

This is ridiculous, does your laptop not have a sticker on it with the name of the operating system and the licence key or perhaps a booklet with the same number. The Tech Guys should not return a laptop with no operating system on it - they should have a recovery disk for all laptops that they support. Do you not have one of these yourself - it will be a lot less hassle to just do it yourself. All you should need to do it whack it in and wait.

The other thing that strikes me is how do they know it is working properly if they did not install an operating system. At least they didn't say "water damage" there is nothing we can do - this seems to be becoming more common.

Toshiba

67jojomin

Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for the reply!

Well no messing round here, i wrote to both currys and toshiba and have had the same standard answer from both. As I have not made a back up I have lost my operating system when they have replaced the hard drive. Amazingly they want to charge me 30.00 for the pleasure of sending me the discs..... money spinner or what?

All i can say is that under no circumstances will i ever be buying a toshiba product or making any purchase from currys ever again.

I am tempted to seek advice on my consumer rights but cant be bothered to be honest!

BE WARNED FOLKS - CURRYS CUSTOMER SERVICE IS PANTS!

GekkoHQ

Jul 8, 2009
I used to work for currys part time when I was a student. They are the most untrustworthy business out there when it comes to returns and replacements. I ended up quitting because I was sick and tired of them messing customers around so much. I really hope you get this resolved..

DonTheDJ

Jul 8, 2009
As Tony says, there is probably a version name and license number for your operating system on a sticker on the underside of your laptop.

You can then use anyone's copy of the install disk for that operating system version so long as it's the right one, such as windows XP (professional) or Vista (Home Premium) to match your license.

There's an example of a disk on ebay if you can't get one from anyone else, it covers all Vista versions - I can't post the link but it's £15

Search for windows vista home premium or similar

It is obviously sold without a license

You may need a little technical knowledge when installing to get all your hardware working, depending on what's in it.
You should be able to get all the drivers you need if not from microsoft, then there's driverguide or similar websites, as well as the manufacturer's

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
To be fair to Toshiba and Currys I think that laptops/pcs are often shipped without media. I remember having to order the OS for a Compaq laptop - it was Windows 3.1 and came on about 20 floppy disks. Those were the days.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Tony I have still have a set of those disks if you ever want to borrow them, I still maintain it was the best version of Windows ever, I have Microsoft Office on floppy too!!!