Market stall veg

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Try getting your veg from your local market, any time after lunch! Bargains galore. I got a carrier bag full of fabulous quality field mushrooms for £1, another full of tiny tasty new potatoes - £1, 5 avocadoes for £1, strawberries 50p a punnet - I am in 5-a-day heaven!!!!!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Thats always true of markets, the stallholders do not want to take their produce away. They would normally prefer to sell at a reduced amount - it will not be a financial loss to them, just less of a profit.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Market stall fruit and veg also seems to stay fresh a lot longer than the fruit and veg from a supermarket. My local market stall seems to sell a lot of locally grown fruit and veg too.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
A lot of the "fresh" fruit in supermarkets have all kinds of procedures to maintain their condition until time of sale - tomatoes are a prime example. Local markets do not have that problem, or possibility.

GekkoHQ

Jul 8, 2009
Yes, I like to buy fruits from local market too, is much cheaper ! £1 for a big box of strawberries usually at least £2.99 at supermarket.