Organic box of veggies delivered to your door

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Does anybody here get their veggies delivered weekly to their door? I was wondering whether this would be a cheaper way of eating for me. Does anybody else out there do this? Is it cheaper? Do you end up not eating all the food because you get too much of something and not enough of something else. The thought of eating things that are in season in this country appeals to me but not if it's going to work out ludicrously expensive ...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
We tried this for a while and didn't always eat all of the stuff. Sometimes it was because it was tough finding a recipe to take advantage of all of them, on other times it was because of sheer volume of one type of vegetable (courgettes!!)

To make it worse, I hate courgettes and my wife likes them but 'doesn't go mad for them', if you know what I mean. However, no matter how many times we filled out the card asking not to receive courgettes we still received the damned things.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks Chutzpah, that was exactly what I was afraid of. Well, I do know a good recipe for courgette soup ( and you only need onions and stock to go with it) so I might give it a go for a while and see what happens.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I would say probably good value if you normally only get organic from the supermarket, but definitely not cheaper than buying regular veg. Okay too if you like the randomness of never knowing what will arrive. A visitor recently brought one with him as it had just arrived and he was going to be away. I was not impressed and whilst I do buy Fairtrade stuff from the supermarket, I get the rest from the regular market, especially if I can get there a bit late when they're getting rid cheaply! I also grow organically stuff I use a lot of such as potatoes and carrots, and seasonal salad stuff.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I've only had veggies delivered to my door a couple of times, and like Chutzpah, found that we couldn't eat all the stuff. More often than not, I buy my veggies from the supermarket (convenience), though I'd much prefer to buy from the local markets. I've often thought of growing my own, though keep making excuses, such as not having the time, space or knowledge.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've considered growing my own too, but for someone who's idea of gardening is getting the lawnmower out it seems like too much.... despite my ex-colleague raving about how easy it is.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Right, thank you everyone. I have decided I am going to grow my own. I spent today helping out in a garden and the broad beans were a sight to behold. Has to be cheaper and more fun than traipsing to the supermarket. And everybody on here talks about ways of saving money and this has to be one of the best ways so here goes - tomorrow I'm going to build a raised bed and I'll let you all know how I get on!