Xbox 360 broke :{

albarnet

Jun 15, 2009
Hi, just found the site whilst looking for advice on my xbox 360 and it looks like there is a lot with personal experience and knowledge to get the job done!!! My xbox is 17 months old, already replaced once after 3 months with the red ring ring of death so this one is 14 months old really, still have the receipt, and bought it from HMV. Took it to HMV yesterday armed with basic knowledge of the 2 year warranty required by EU law and was told nothing to do with them, must speak to microsoft themselves as they do the repairs. The fault is an E73 with a red light on the ring which doesn't carry the 3 year warranty that the 3 rings of death has or the E74 fault carries. Microsoft said they will charge me £74 for the repair and only give a one year warranty. Have emailed the customer support address I was given over the phone and still awaiting a reply. Who exactly is responsible for the repair? HMV or Microsoft? Any help gratefully accepted

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
It's still HMV. I'm sure Tony will be able to give you some very specific advice.

All I can say is that often the people 'at the coal face', i.e. the shop workers and even store managers, often know very little about consumer law.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Faulty XBOX 360

Hi,

It's still HMV. I'm sure Tony will be able to give you some very specific advice.

All I can say is that often the people 'at the coal face', i.e. the shop workers and even store managers, often know very little about consumer law.
All correct.

Took it to HMV yesterday armed with basic knowledge of the 2 year warranty required by EU law
The UK was deemed to comply with the EU regulations as Sale of Goods Act provides 6 years of cover (5 in Scotland) i.e. more than 2. Note that this doesn't mean all items are expected to last that long.

So you need to refer to that rather than the EU regs. There is quite an active thread about PS3s where you can find letters that you can adapt. If you post it here I can proof read it for you.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/technology/4101-replacement-ps3-problem-advice-5.html#post8595

albarnet

Jun 15, 2009
thanks guys, much appreciated. The thing I can't get my head round is why don't all UK companies do what is required of them by law? why is it such a nightmare to get anything done, John lewis openly respect the consumer by giving 2 years on all electrical goods except tv's were they give 5 years. I think they could all take a leaf from their book.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Some retailers are better than others for sure, but even two years is not enough for many electrical items. Remember that these free warranties are in addition to your statutory rights and often times provide less protection.

Tony

keriSt09

Jun 18, 2009
I also made the experience that shop workers often know very little about consumer law. A few months ago my mp3 player broke and they told me that they can do nothing to repair it although the player is 9 months old. :mad: