Cereals free gifts

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I used to love the free gifts on/in cereal packets. How come they are a thing of the past in these business-challenging times? I still remember some really interesting ones. My husband thinks I dreamt it up, but does anyone else remember Kellogg giving away a ridged plastic strip, that when you ran your fingernail over it, made the sound of a voice, saying a quote. I had Churchill saying "Some chicken, some neck". Perhaps I did dream it - it was a weird thing to offer to induce pester power!!!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Oh yes, I remember the free gifts in cereal packets. I don't really remember them growing up myself, but my daughter would often choose her cereal based on the free gift she would get, and some of them were quite good, such as stencil sets, mini puzzles and bath toys. It's amazing how kids were so easily pleased back then.

UCL Harris

Nov 17, 2009
Don't think TracyG quite got the gist of that question ...!

I too remember these, and have been met with incredulous stares from everyone I've told about them, including people of my own age. The only two I remember were Churchill's "Some chicken! Some neck!" and Chamberlain's "Here is the paper!". I don't remember which cereal they came free with, nor what other quotes were featured, but I'd love to find them again. We used to have great fun varying the speed we drew our nails at.

Here's someone else who remembers:
crab.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/musical-roads-of-the-world