AA

thepieman

Jun 16, 2009
Hi im new to this forum and wonder if anyone has help or advice for me.

I bought a cheap return ticket on American Airlines which i now understand i cant use.. i bought it 5 days ago and immediately realised when i started completing the online visa waiver that i dont qualify and its going to be nigh on impossible to use the ticket.. i completed the online refund application as its an eticket and got an automated email..i waited 5 days and contacted AAUK and was told ticket non refundable non transferable to another airline.. i hoped iberia..or another person.. all i would get back was approx £50 in uk airport taxes..from a £450 ticket.. i am gutted.. it was my 1st paycheck from new job having been unemployed for 9 months.. i bought on credit card
Has anyone else had a similar experience? can anyone offer me a ray of hope??
Many thanks in advance

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
It sounds like you are out of luck. I suggest a pleading/nice letter or email to the their customer services dept. explaining the circumstances and saying that you plan to use their services in future, etc. They may come back with an option to cancel or reschedule, credit note, or something. They may want to keep your future custom, and feel it is worth a bit of a gamble.
Explaining that you will often need to travel on that route due to your circumstances - family in U.S. or whatever - might help, assuming that may be true - as they may request confirmation.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Crikey - no real advise to offer other than following suit and suggesting a letter and then another one. But that's awful! Talk about appalling service. I have a friend who is a pilot and he says the planes are half full these days. So does this mean their penny pinching in a bid to save the airlines in the current economic gloom is going to lead to terrible and unsympathetic customer services. Let's hope not. Good luck.

thepieman

Jun 16, 2009
hi and thanks for the replies.. i agree its lousy customer service and its pretty harsh on someone spending so much money. i will tqake your advice and email customer services and hope they have a change of heart.
thanks again