Cold calls after having windows fitted by Safestyle

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I recently had a cold call from a company called Virgo (who I've never heard of). The overly friendly woman on the end of the phone began by telling me that she was aware that I had recently had windows fitted by Safestyle (which is true, 3 years ago). She then asked me if I was happy with the service I'd received. I totally wasn't happy with the service but wasn't going to get in to my rant about Safestyle at that point. I asked what the call was regarding and was told that she could offer me an excellent deal on new fascias and guttering. I politely told her that I wasn't interested and ended the call.

As soon as I'd put the phone down, I questioned how this company had got my details, and this isn't the first time I've had a call from a company I've never heard of trying to sell me something based on the fact that I have had windows fitted by Safestyle. I certainly would not have given Safestyle permission to pass on my details, so how are these companies getting my number?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
They have sold your details (or, potentially an employee has sold it and pocketed the money). But I'm afraid to say you'll have to prove it, which is unlikely.

One of the things that annoyed me with O2 was that they did exactly this. I started getting calls from numerous mobile companies all offering me deals and upgrades through them, they knew when my contract was due for renewal, what phone I currently had, the package I was on, everything. O2 denied everything, but I can't believe these companies (about six different ones) each just happened to come across the information somewhere.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
It's worrying that companies are allowed to sell or pass on my personal details without my permission, or that employees can get away with stealing my personal information for a profit. It is no wonder identity theft and scams are on the rise when people's personal information is so easily obtainable.