Damaged kitchen worktop

northseagirl

Jun 21, 2009
Could anyone advise if I have any rights on the following problem.
Sorry it is a long explanation.
I ordered an oak worktop for my kitchen from what is reputably one of the best independent manufacturers. The bottom of the worktop was oiled prior to installation but the kitchen fitter for some reason did not want the top oiled until it was installed. After installation we fine sanded the top as per instructions and what we previously thought were just dark sap marks in one stave of the wood split open and a 1mm piece of wood lifted up (so you could get a knife under it. I contacted the worktop people and sent photos and they said they would replace it - impossible as it was installed with upstands and would cost more to repair the damage to take it out than the price of the worktop. They then banged on about how I should have oiled the worktop prior to installation etc. etc. but said they would send someone to repair it. The next day they said they could not repair it on site and I would have to take out the worktop or they could do nothing and according to their terms and conditions .... which they kept going on about .. they were not liabile. They then went on and on saying that I should have oiled it first before installation then I would have been able to have a replacement. My brother is a boatbuilder and has now repaired it beautifully for me as I have tenants in the cottage in under two weeks.

Should I be entitled to some compensation or at least what I paid my brother for his repair or are they happily hiding behind their terms and conditions.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I suggest that you look at the 'Consumers rights' section on the front page of this site. What are their terms and conditions that they insist makes them not liable.
Make sure that your brother lists his time and materials costs in detail.
As the company said that they could not repair it on site, presumably they agree that there was something to repair. Getting agreed what it was necessary to repair would mean a lot for you, which could then be used by you to make the claim in a small claims court - which might be the best solution if it is worth it.
In which case I suggest that you list the costs incurred by your brother, and send them an invoice for that. If you have no response, or a rejection, send another letter saying that a legal process will be commenced on a defined date.

fedup

Nov 27, 2010
We had a long stave oak worktop installed and oiled it meticulously. It cracked in several places so we complained to the supplier kitchen worktops direct (one of several operated by uni com direct). The owner of the company was incredibly arrogant and basically said it was our problem and that his oak worktops can crack. Take us to court and we'll call expert witnesses and claim considerable costs from you was his answer. I guess as an internet business with several fronts he knows he doesn't care about his reputation in the same way a bricks and mortar trader would. Beware!

xantian15

Dec 25, 2010
I experienced a similar experience. It all depends on the supplier but the truth of the matter is, if a product is faulty the supplier should either repair it or replace it or offer a full refund. It does depend on how nice your supplier is.

When it happened to me, I took photos of the crack in the wood and sent it to the supplier who refunded me the cost of the worktop after a couple of weeks. It does require some nagging but got there in the end. Try buying from worktop.co.uk in the future.

unicom

Jan 2, 2013
We had a long stave oak worktop installed and oiled it meticulously. It cracked in several places so we complained to the supplier kitchen worktops direct (one of several operated by uni com direct). The owner of the company was incredibly arrogant and basically said it was our problem and that his oak worktops can crack. Take us to court and we'll call expert witnesses and claim considerable costs from you was his answer. I guess as an internet business with several fronts he knows he doesn't care about his reputation in the same way a bricks and mortar trader would. Beware!
Looks like you aren't the only one to have such problems with Unicom Direct / Kitchen-worktops-direct.co.uk / Kitchen-worktops-plus.co.uk, can't post the link here but look on ReviewCentre.com ...!