Faulty laptop, original brand in new ownership - no refund?

Aelothir

Jun 21, 2009
I bought a gaming laptop from Rock in 2006. On using the laptop for gaming I noticed performance was incredibly poor and not what I had expected. I contacted Rock, they agreed to repair the fault.

The fault, as far as I am concerned, has persisted since that day. The graphics processing unit has been replaced twice. This procedure seems to rectify the fault for a month or two but it gradually comes back. I now find my self in the position where 3D applications are impossible to run satisfactorily once again. As far as I am concerned there is a fundamental fault with the laptop that Rock have failed to identify and resolve, a fault that has existed as long as I have owned it.

I have recently got in touch with Rock again in order to state my rights and ask for a refund/replacement due to the fact that repairs have been unsuccessful. I have been informed by the new owners of the brand (the Stone group) that Rock went into administration last year.

According to the new owners, they are willing to offer me a repair (my laptop is still within warranty) but they state that any claims for refund or replacement must be made to the administrators that dealt with Rock in 2008.

I am reasonably happy for them to attempt a repair, but due to the rocky maintenance history of this particular laptop, I am doubtful the repair will be successful (they will probably just replace the GPU again).

Are they right to say that they have no responsibility to offer a replacement/refund? Rock computers still exists after all (google search 'rock direct'). Am I lucky that they are willing to honour the warranty? Or should I be making a little more noise and demanding a refund/replacement from Rock (as it still exists) in spite of whoever happens to own it.

If not, how much luck am I likely to have with the administrators?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Aelothir

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply Tony. Will rad that article now and will let you know how I get on. I knew this wouldn't be easy.