Faulty workmanship help required

niccol

Jun 15, 2009
Hello everyone, im new to the site so please bear with me if i post in the wrond section or appear to ask some stupid questions. I apologise in advance for this being a lengthy question but couldnt shorten by much.
We have a problem with plumbing work that was done in Nov/Dec 2008. Will give just a brief summary of the problem and see if anyone can point me in the right direction of complaining suffiently and being re-imbursed for our upheaval.
We had our main bathroom taken out and a shower room installed instead (suits us better as a family) and then couple of weeks ago put a bath in our en-suite (room next door). When the carpet was taken up in the en-suite we could see there was water coming through the wall from the shower-room next door. To cut a long story and few days out investigating the leak....a second plumber removed the grout to re-do in the shower room and basically the tiles came away from the wall. The walls behind had not been sealed, one section was not even plasterboarded let alone anything else and the tiles were positioned across the insulation material and the tiniest bit of sealant holding them on. We have had to take the entire shower screen, tiles and plasterboard off. (This is all while the other room was being done so maximum disruption but we werent expecting it). The plasterboard was like papier mache. Now...what i would like help with is what is the correct way to complain for maximum benefit. Im not talking about compensation particularly but re-imbursement for the works done badly and the considerable hassle we have endured the last couple of weeks. The plumber concerned is a local one-man-band who works with his brother who does the 'plastering and tiling'. We had him back out several times to sort leaks out in the room around the outside edges of the shower tray and each time only another layer of sealant put around the tray when they would have known all along the shabby job they did behind.
I work for a local council and took the photo's into our Building Control Department for the surveyor to look at. He is happy to do me a letter backing us up about the works but im not sure where i start with it. I know i need to get it together and send to 1st plumber to give him opportunity to settle on his insurance but is there a best way to word it.
thanks for any advice coming, i really need it and again sorry this is long.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I think you should probably have given the first plumber a chance to look at the defects and rectify the problems but given the job he did, I can understand you wouldn't want to do that.

I would get a separate bill from your new plumber for the defects and send that with a strongly worded letter asking for full reimbursement of the account plus any damage to carpets etc. that you have suffered, I fear you may end up taking him to court for this but you'll have a good case if you do.

niccol

Jun 15, 2009
Thanks. I feel we did give him chance, we had him back round several times but he was still bodging the leaks. There were other reasons i did not want him back too. He went round the house when he was here alone - my tv was on in my bedroom and i know i turn it off each time i go out, and one day he left his phone here and when i rang it we found it in the study downstairs so clearly he was snooping. He wasnt meant to be in either of those rooms. When i challenged him about it he said he was looking at photo's! I had got to the point i did not want him in the house. His information was given to us by the place we bought the fittings from, ive since found out they dont actually recommend, its his mum that works in there and gives his card out.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I suggest that you film and list the problems. Then get estimates to repair/replace the work to make it the way that it should have been for the work that you have already paid for.
You will need receipts for the money that you have already paid. That should be your basic claim. Add on any other incidental costs - such as having somebody to investigate what was the problem.
Send the first plumber that letter as a claim, saying that legal action will commence on a stated date, unless the amount is paid in full by that date.
Then start a small claims court action for that amount, plus any other costs, eg your time to present the case, etc.

The 'consumer rights' tab from the home page of this site, will provide more information for you.

Good luck.

darlo62

Jan 20, 2010
Hi not quite sure whether I am posting this in the right place, but wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

Approx 6 years ago we used a NICE IC approved contractor to do a complete re-wire on our home we were about to move into. As we were moving from another town some miles away, it was not possible for us to supervise the work being carried out.

It has now come to light,(pardon the pun) since having light fittings replaced and a problem with the sockets, that little, if any of the work has been carried out, as old type wiring is still in-situ and only new socket fronts have been replaced, and in some areas wiring has not been earthed.

We asked on many occassions for the electrician in question to give us a guarantee for the work carried out and a reciept for the monies paid, none of which have been forth coming.

We now find ourselves in a position that after seeking advice from another electrician, that it will take a substantial amount of money to rectify the problems which cannot be left.

Without any guarantee or reciept what proof do we have that the work was carried out, and is there anything that we can do? We are still trying to make contact with the electrician, who as yet has not responded to the messages left.

homara

Sep 4, 2009
Its unfortunate you've no contract or receipt. Additionally, he should have issued you with a detailed specification of the work carried out. This was and still is a requirement stipulated by his professional regulatory body. If I were you, I would contact them and discuss this individuals shocking (no pun intended) practice. I'm not sure if you'll be able to seek redress but at least his regulatory body will have something on record and may well approach him to seek an explanation.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Is this the sort of thing which shouldn't happen anymore now that you can no longer change a lightbulb in your own house without having a qualified recognised electrician etc to supervise you carrying it out. Actually I'm being flippant but reading this story you can see why it makes sense.