Store price and leaflet price different

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
A while back I had a sales leaflet posted to me from a local warehouse. I spotted boxes of dishwasher tabs for £5 (I can't remember the exact price, but extremely cheap for the size). In the warehouse the same dishwasher tabs were marked up at £10. I questioned this with the sales staff and was told that the leaflet had been printed wrong and the dishwasher tabs were actually £10, though they did offer to sell me one box at £5, which I was happy with. I was just wondering what the legal standing on this is. If a leaflet is printed showing an incorrect price, is the store legally obliged to sell the product at the price shown on the leaflet?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No goods do not have to be sold at any advertised price, in fact stores don't have to sell you anything if they don't want to, often, like in this case, stores will do so as a gesture of good will but they are not under any obligation.

They do have to remove any special offer advertising if they are not prepared to meet it once it has been pointed out to them so if a company is using the method of incorrect pricing to mislead customers, they should be reported to trading standards.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
If they did it time and time and time again trading standards would probably take an interest. But at all other times, mistakes happen.

As Witch consumer says, there is a concept of 'invitation to treat', the price quoted is an offer price, there's nothing to stop you going to the till and haggling, and there's nothing to stop the retailer changing the price before money has changed hands.

From my time in retail it's a common misconception and one that a lot of the public are confused about.