Pastry - homemade or frozen

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I haven't attempted making my own pastry for many years. I remember when I did it was extremely messy and I never seemed to get it right. Since then, I have brought frozen pastry costing around 90p a block, which does a good sized family pie. I am wondering whether to try my hand at the real thing again. I know that home-made pastry tastes better, and I'm sure making my own pastry would cost less, but is it really worth the hassle?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I, as Princess Homemade, make here the full admission that I have in the past bought shortcrust pastry - even the pre-rolled sort! Ooh that feels better!
I went through a phase where every batch I made was so crumbly as to be unrollable, or tough when cooked. I know you have to have cold hands! Perhaps I am too hot blooded! I would never attempt Puff Pastry. That's an all day commitment!
Now that DH is wheat intolerant I am back to making shortcrust with Dove's farm wheat free flour and it’s working out well. Finding Spelt Puff Pastry t'other day has revolutionised my menus. I think I would still be buying ready made if I could as I hate the sticky yet drying feel of dough on my hands!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Buy it from the supermarket, comply with the instructions, and it should be ok. Why not use their products - if that is a reasonable way to go.