Laminate flooring, is creaking normal?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Our apartment has laminate flooring - creaks! Just walking normally over it makes it creak all the time. At night when people are sleeping it is disturbing.
With the construction of thin flexible flooring laid on a thin foam layer it is moving all the time, between the different slats. Of course it will creak.
I consider that is a design problem of the system, which is not acceptable. I would appreciate opinions on whether we have a case to request replacement with a suitable and correct alternative.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I believe creaks and warps are to do with temperature changes, however a professional should make allowances for this at the edges.

Not sure if you have any recourse though (I know, I'm useless)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Did you install it, or did you have it intalled? Like most things "significant" and "reasonable" come into play, but both are subjective.

Tony

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
It was installed before we moved in, so that makes it a few years now -- I guess that we have no recourse to anything. It does seem a bad design though, not due to poor installation - just bad design.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It will be impossible as you don't know who installed it or where the flooring was purchased

Tony