Vets Bills and Pet Insurance

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
And while I'm on a similar vein (have just posted about dentists elsewhere!) could you let me know your thoughts on pet insurance. I have just forked out over £90 for my kittens second injection, microchip, ear ointment and flea something or other. Ouch! What am I getting for pet insurance? Surely it's only going to cover the unlikely or unlucky emergency situations or illnesses and not the usual every day bills that you have to pay for such as flu jabs, teeth checks, etc. Should I bother or not?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
For cats and dogs, personally I think yes. I've seen too many huge bills for you to not get it. My parents had a dog that turned out to have dodgy legs, the vet bill for the operation and rehab was way over £2000. Luckily they had pet insurance.

And just three days ago they had to take one of the cats to the vet. Turns out it's toxic poisoning and let's just say the bill is hefty... and they cancelled it a couple of months ago thinking it was a waste of money.

But it depends on your level of risk. What you might instead do is what some people do in lieu of boiler insurance or bicycle insurance - pay (diligently) into an ISA each month, soon you will have amassed enough money to pay any bills/replacement.

Incidentally, I looked into pet insurance when my wife got two rabbits. It was pointless for a small animal and wasn't any cheaper than insuring a cat.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I have a friend who is a vet's receptionist and she is definitely in favour of insurance as she sees many heartbroken folks who cannot pay for any surgery. Even an X-ray runs to three figures.
However, all the things you list won't be covered. Neutering, inoculations, flea and worm treatment are exempt. You may also find that certain recognised 'breed' conditions are also exempt.
Having spent a lot over the years on roadside assistance, I stopped several years ago, and reckon I am quids in on the saving even if something does go wrong (although I now have it again as I travel with my infirm mum and am paying for the convenience). I do wonder about the idea (if you're disciplined) of starting a savings account, putting away what you would spend on insurance??

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I got rid of roadside assistance when I bought my Honda - unlike my previous cars I had more faith in this one being reliable.

The idea of paying in to an ISA is supposedly extremely popular with London cyclists, as they have high instances of theft/damage. They save up to the cost of a new bike and then leave it in there.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I like the suggestions about paying something into a savings account each month although I probably have to acknowledge that when times are hard it may be raided every now and again. Hmmm. Thanks for all the thoughts. I'll carry on having a think ...