Sony KDL-46X3500 - broken after 17 months

harryp

Jun 30, 2009
Hi

I have a Sony LCD television that has developed a blurry screen after 17months. I contacted Sony who informed me that this is now out of warranty and put me in touch with their authorized repairer. The repairer has quoted £1115.50 stating it needs a new screen, the original cost of the television was £2200

I contacted Sony directly informing them of the situation and to their credit they have offered 50% to a maximum of £600, towards the repair. Unfortuantely I still don't believe this is good enough as it doesn't even cover the cost of parts, which are £895

I purchased the TV via my credit card over the internet from a retailer I found via a search engine.

I just wondered what my next best course of action might be. Should I contact the retailer or should I respond to Sony? Do I have any rights? I believe I do as a high end TV such as this should last considerably longer than 17 months. I feel that the retailer would not give this much attention as it appears to be a small shop which is why I wrote to Sony directly.

Thanks in advance

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
The sale of goods act protects the purchaser for up to six years, dependant upon the use and purpose of the supplied item. This situation sounds like that it should be repaired or replaced by the supplier, with a loner tv supplied during the repair time.