Does anybody save their change?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I'm interested if some people save their loose change below a certain value. Putting away nightly all the loose pocket change below 50 pence in a container will soon mount up, and provide a nice little nest egg at the end of each month. It also saves your pockets from wearing out!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I save 1ps, 2ps and 5ps in an old ornamental bucket. I don't save them up for anything in particular, though every few months I'll cash them in and fritter the money away on some treat or other. I take them to my local Asda where they have a coin machine that sorts and counts the change and then gives me a ticket showing how much I have accumulated. The ticket can be exchanged for real money at Asda's customer services desk. They deduct about 7p from every £1 poured in to the machine, though this beats counting and bagging the money and taking it to the bank, which would incur more than 7p in the pound in parking charges.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I put it in a dish in the hall with my keys and recover the pounds in the morning my wife fills her purse with the rest. I tend to pay with notes and cards, but she likes to count out the exact amount which always seems to take forever...

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
We have old brass tankards on a shelf -one each for 1p, 2p, and 5p. Pocket and purse tip outs top them up! Every Christmas we bag them up and bank them and send the proceeds to Wateraid. It's usually around £15.
We used to save 20ps too, but they got raided too often!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I just decide how 'rich' I feel that week. If things are going well, all coins less than 50 pence from my pockets at the end of the day get saved. A bad week would be 20 pence. In any case, it adds fast. Of course, the saving comes out of next week's spending.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I am extremely jealous of you all having change to save! Nope, I am always down to my last pennies, scrabbling madly under the sofa (although my bag does prove to be quite a resource of one pound coins) and raiding my childrens piggy banks .... oh well.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
It is a thought process really, not that anybody has so much spare money. The necessity to break into another £5 or £10 note emphasises the amount being spent, thus encouraging savings or doing without when shopping and spending.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I know many people think that carrying cash helps them track their spend, whereas always paying by card is 'lethal'.

However, I find that when you only have your card and no cash you think twice before buying something that is a couple of pounds.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I have a big cardboard tube which used to be a hot chocolate tub (it has a plastic lid and everything).

I try to empty my wallet into it every few days, not just to save change but also to stop me being tempted to spend the 1 and 2 pounds on little things I don't need that over a month or two add up to a fair bit that could go towards something more useful. It's a jumble of mostly coppers and 5ps, but I'm always pleasantly surprised to find the odd pound coin and 50p in there when I've run out of tobacco.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I do save my change, and take it down to Asda or Tesco to to coin counting machine about 2 or 3 times a year, usually it ends up in my pocket and gets spent of cakes or chocolate.

However, three years ago, I asked family and friends to empty their purses and wallets of all change (20pences and smaller) on a Saturday afternoon, and save in the four weeks prior to my birthday party, instead of bying me a present for my big '30' I wanted to give the money to the local Children's Hospice.

On the night of my party 85 people turned up, and some deposited their change into the buckets - there were buckets on the bar too for loose change from buying drinks.

Just over £600 was raised for charity in this way ... however on that occasion I did sit and count and bag it all up, ready for the bank, so that I could send a cheque instead of turning up with several buckets of coins.

kimrh

Apr 24, 2009
I never bother - it somehow just ends up getting lost! Change is the bain of my life. My fella keeps his in old video boxes then once every couple of months changes them at the Post Office... needless to say he is richer than I am :)

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I sat and counted my change last night, and am off to the bank shortly to deposit £20 ... the remaining £13 will be taken to Tesco and exchanged at the Coinstar machine, not too bad for a few months worth of change.

achod

Nov 29, 2009
yeah! I have a massive champagne bottle that I add to a little bit every day.. It get filled up every 4 months or so. When I empty it it usually ends up being about £200 - £300... thats the money I use to treat myself every now and then :D

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
We do this as well. We have a big plastic canister we put all our change in so when we get change we don't save it to use for anything we just put it in there. We finally cashed it in and used it to go on a short vacation. It adds up to a lot more than you think and I actually like it as well because I don't have to carry around tons of change anymore.

HenrysCat

Jan 12, 2010
I get my spare change nabbed by my 3yr old twins. They love putting the money in their piggy banks. Good to get them started on the saving habit early.