Kids

Anxiousdad

Jul 3, 2009
My son has about $500 AUD outstanding on a British Visa card and has cleared off to Australia. He had been getting letters from the credit provider and now appears that the debt has been sold to a local company over there who are threatening action via solicitors. He seems to think that they cannot enforce a British contract in Australia's courts but I am hoping to persuade him otherwise or he will never learn.
Can anyone direct me to a link which I can show him to convince that the collectors after him will be able to litigate or is he actually right for once?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
You are correct. There are very few debts which cannot be enforced in any location worldwide. Australia and UK are linked in law, and the debts are enforcable there. Both UK and Australia have the basic assumption that debtors should pay what they owe - wherever that debt originated.
I suggest talking to a solicitor, who will be able to quote the laws which are applicable. Your son will probably have to pay his outstanding debt - it really depends if the company want to enforced their rights, which it sounds like they are going to do.