Buying property overseas.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Many people from UK are targeted by overseas property developers who think that they will purchase their apartments and houses at a higher price than local people are willing to pay. That reasoning is very indicative of how other people thinking of the English !
How do UK people think of that?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Well, my mother-in-law and her partner have just purchased a house in Portugal. But luckily (maybe) they'll be doing it up themselves, so it's not one of these plots of land that is never finished.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Local builders and repair people who can speak any foreign languages normally flock to people in that situation, because they know that they will have an advantage.
I suggest that they take great care in finding out how things are done locally - and it is certainly not the same as UK. Some of the building codes and requirements are much more advanced in many ways than in UK.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
My mother-in-law's partner is quite savvy. He's already had a good lawyer check over all the details numerous times, and will be doing most of the work himself as he's VERY hands-on (unlike me!) and also have contacts over there in numerous disciplines.

I'm personally looking forward to visiting them a couple of times a year!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Many English people don't accept the methods of foreign countries, including Portugal, and modify properties to UK systems. They forget that the local methods function well locally - examples are the electrical systems and water systems of Portuguese properties. Totally different to UK, and works well.