Are barbeques acceptable?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Are small barbeques safe and considerate if used carefully on an apartment balcony. I would like to know if it is accepted that residents should be able to enjoy a barbeque in a apartment, or if it is really a "no no" ! I'm thinking of the smells and smoke that may happen, even from a small, well lit barbeque.
For me, it seems no worse than a few people smoking. For others, they may consider it abusive.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I love the smell of a bbq, especially as I don't have one at the mo and have to sit on my doorstep and take a deep breath on a sunny evening

I think all things in moderation should be acceptable and a bbq is one of the least antisocial activities, even on an apartment balcony.

Live and let live

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I would say go for it. But if you use a disposable BBQ but some bricks underneath it - we managed to melt some floor tiles on the balcony of one of my student digs :D

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I will echo what Chutzpah said. Be very careful. We rented a flat and the flat beneath us full of S.African students (was that you Chutzpah?!) had a barbecue on their roof terrace and managed to start a fire by melting the floor. I also have to say I think it's fairly anti-social if you are on a balcony close to somebody else's balcony on a hot day - you would be forcing them to close their windows if the smoke got out of hand.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Wasn't me! It was the balcony above my landlord's shop :D

My best advice is, if you're not inviting your neighbours, to knock on their door or pop a message through to let them know your intentions and to let you know if they have any issues.

Unlike my inconsiderate neighbours tonight that have loud music blaring and have set off fireworks that are obviously too large for personal use.

Normally the people around here are quite considerate and drop a note through the door pre-warning you of any parties and leave their mobile number in case you have any issues :rolleyes:

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
We are lucky, the smoke cannot affect other properties as we have the highest balcony. However, even the small disposable barbeques generate a lot of smoke when starting. We used to have a big garden, with a fixed barbeque - it did not matter there. This little apartment balcony is sure different - we will be cleaning smoke dirt for a long time now!

khopz

Mar 25, 2014
Hi there

I'm made the mistake of leaving my disposable BBQ on my terrace and has now melted into the concrete... I just wondered if you had any advice of how to get this off? The building maintenance are quoting £280 which seems ridiculous.

Cheers!

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
Hi khopz,

Sorry, but I don't understand quite what has happened. A barbecue would not 'melt' concrete, so what exactly has happened and what work is needed that is going to cost nearly £300? Thanks:)

khopz

Mar 25, 2014
Hi

Sorry it's not concrete, it's bitumen with some sort of coating and it's melted through to leave big black squares. I wondered if anyone had experience of repairing such disasters as £280 seems really steep!

Cheers :(

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
It sounds like you may need to check you don't have to use building maintenance if this is social housing. If you don't, phone round a few places to get some quotations. Often a small, but reliable, builder will work out good value.

Please be sure you're allowed to use other services first though. :)

Sammy80

Mar 26, 2014
Yeah make sure you don't have to use your building maintenance. I don't actually think 280 sounds that unreasonable but obviously I haven't seen the damage so it's a little difficult to say.