bad landscaping

dockers

Jul 4, 2009
stoke on trent
I've had my back garden landscaped it looks a very good job till i started seeing problems with it. I first noticed the cobbles coming loose then the odd indian stone coming loose. I thought well i know thing's do go wrong so i will njust ring him to sort it out. But it started getting more coming loose of indian stone and cobbles. Well i thought this is happening now what's going happen in the winter. So my wife wrote a email to him listing evreythin that was wrong this was at 10:20 at night to email us back the next day. He then rang back at 11pm that night having a go at me he also emailed having a go suggesting he was a cowboy. He came round the next evening to rectify these problems so i thought. The next day I came back I found the kitchen floor wet I checked with next door and he had been round that morning when i challanged him on this matter he denied being anywhere near my property.
I have also found more slabs coming loose so I went and checked how these should be laid because somebady told me they were laid wrong which I found out that they are. He has laid them in cowboy terms dot and dab. What can I do in regards taking him to court? Can I do a website about him to warn others? We did have other quotes and checked into this company before using this small company and has got a very good website.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Take lots of photos of the problems, and list them. Get together all the paperwork which led to the award of the work.
Check out the section on this page of your consumer's rights - you have quite a few.
Web sites are easily constructed and have no relation to the wellbeing, efficiency or performance of a business.
Good luck in sorting out this problem.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes Happy Writer is correct anybody can create a website that looks good. If the total cost is less than £5000 you can use the Small Claims process. However, you are expected to sort out the problem before it gets to court. Have you contracted trading standards?

Tony

dockers

Jul 4, 2009
stoke on trent
Thanks for the reply. I am going to tell the landscaper I want the patio re-done before I go further with this. I have contacted consumer direct at the moment just to report it. I want it sorting before it goes further but he has been a bit nasty and put a hose pipe through the cat flap and wet all the floor in the kitchen so I don't hold much hope. I've taken photo's of the work and underneath some of the slabs which there is hardley any cement under there. I have all the paperwork which show's day by day account what he was doing in the garden.

dockers

Jul 4, 2009
stoke on trent
can you please advise what my right's would be in terms of claiming money back? he has already bullied me (we have proof of this as he did it by email) into paying in full amount, which I have done.

london

Sep 23, 2009
London
www.robuild.co.uk
Yes Happy Writer is correct anybody can create a website that looks good. If the total cost is less than £5000 you can use the Small Claims process. However, you are expected to sort out the problem before it gets to court. Have you contracted trading standards?

Tony
Tony is right, less than £5000 you can use the Small Claims process.

However, the problem might be something else. You are saying that the cobbles and slabs are coming loose during winter ? and you had your kitchen floor flooded - wet ? It could be that your property is in a high water table area. In the winter wet land is transforming into ice.
Ice takes more space than water, thus is pushing everything upwards and that includes cobbles stones and slabs.

If the builder can show that he did a reasonable job but due to extremely bad conditions bla bla - you might not get much compensation back.

I might be wrong.
Regards