Too thick to boil an egg? Buy 'em preboiled

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Pre-packed boiled eggs aimed at those who don't have the time or knack to boil an egg! It's laughable. We're talking a pan of boiling water and 5 to 8 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs). Rather excessive, but I wouldn't be surprised if these were a big seller. And then what? Pre-packed buttered toast to go with your pre-packed boiled egg.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
If I'm cooking eggs for a salad, I find eight minutes in boiling water is perfect. For a more runny egg I'd cook it for five minutes in boiling water. A good hot runny egg is something that could never come pre-packed.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I have a sudden urge for boiled egg and soldiers, home-made, of course. Chutzpah, what's the Delia method?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Not toasted I hope? My wife (and many others) like them toasted whereas I believe there's nothing better than some fresh, soft bread dipped in a creamy yolk...

Delia method: (she says never use eggs straight from the fridge, I agree)

1. First of all, have a small saucepan filled with enough simmering water to cover the eggs by about ½-inch (1cm).
2. Then quickly but gently lower the eggs into the water, one at a time using a tablespoon.
3. Now switch a timer on and give the eggs exactly 1 min simmering time.
4. Then remove the pan from the heat, put a lid on it and set the timer again, using the following timings:
6 mins will produce a soft, fairly liquid yolk and a white that is just set but still quite wobbly.
7 mins will produce a firmer, more creamy yolk with a white that is completely set

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Oh my goodness - I can't believe you two can remain so calm and swap egg cooking tips (although thanks Chutzpah I will take this away with me) amidst the news of pre-boiled eggs on the market. This is absolutely crazy/ridiculous/pathetic/yet another symptom of everything that is wrong with us and how we live these days/ ... what I really don't understand is how somebody could have even had the audacity to come up with the idea in the first place and then how somebody could be so stupid as to agree to it. Please please please let this be a total failure and some of my faith in humanity may be restored!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Actually, I lost faith in humanity when they started selling grated cheese. It explains why I'm so twisted and bitter, and why I kick cute puppies when I see an innocent child walking one in the park in order to make the child cry.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the Delia method, Chutzpah. Oh, and my soldiers do have to be toasted, with lashings of butter.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Chutzpah - you are a heartless man.

I had forgotten about grated cheese and that it can't always have come from packets! :)