Laptop Specification Dispute

sp4rky

Jul 10, 2009
hi there, i recently purchased a sony vaio bz11en laptop from Misco. I'd checked the spec on Sony's website and it listed integral speakers and internal microphone. Miscos specs only stated the integral speaker no mention of the internal microphone. So rightly or wrongly i assumed that sonys information would be correct.
We were pleased with it initially however we installed skype which we use for business comms and found that the microphone did not work. i spoke with sony's tech support who were insistant it had a microphone and thus a fault finding process was carried out only for sony to request the return of the unit for inspection. To cut a long story short after the second return sony have now said that the unit is not supplied with an internal microphone. neither Sony nor Misco are taking responsibility for this problem and Misco have said i must got to Trading Standards. What are my options with this matter??

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Sparky,

It is an interesting question, my immediate response would be that you don't have a case as Misco did describe it correctly. However, was the model number identical to the spec of the one you saw on the website this is part of the description, did Misco link to it for more information? What if it didn't have a modem, speakers, network port etc? Did Sony's webite say that specification varies from country to country or similar.

Also what are you trying to achieve? A microphone or your money back. The former would be reasonable, the latter will be harder.

Tony

Tony

sp4rky

Jul 10, 2009
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response.

My aim is really to get a laptop that has the microphone installed as per the Sony specification. Other than the lack of a microphone i am happy with this unit. What i dont want is to have to carry around an external microphone though as this is another thing to lose whilst on my travels.

honest answer regarding the link from misco to sony is i'm not sure, i dont think so, certainly looking now they dont even list this laptop on Misco's website probably been removed following the recent calls (the conspiracy theorist coming out in me!!!). I didnt think to save the Misco specification.

here is the advert from Sony there is no mention regarding differences from country to country: (couldnt attach html copy from Sonys website as it is too large and not right format for the forum also too large zipped up!)

VGN-BZ11EN
Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5670 Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista® Business with SP1
Network
10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Cache
2048 KB Memory
4096 MB (Not Upgradable) In the case of 4GB, a portion of the system memory over 3GB might not be available to the operating system Memory Information
SO-DIMM 800Mhz (DDR2) Hard Disk Drive
160 Gb (S-ATA)
(7.5 GB reserved - recovery space)
Graphic Card
Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD Display
15.4" TFT WXGA 1280x800 Optical
CD-ROM (read) : 24 x Speed
CD-R (write) : 24 x Speed
CD-RW (write) : 24 x Speed
DVD-ROM (read) : 8 x Speed
DVD +R (write) : 8 x Speed
DVD +RW (write) 8 x Speed
DVD -R (write) : 8 x Speed
DVD -RW (write) : 6 x Speed
DVD Dual Layer (write) : 6 x Speed
Ports on Unit
1 PC Card Slot(s), 4 pins i.Link Port, MemoryStick Duo Slot, Secure Digital Card Slot, Bluetooth, 3 USB Port(s) (high (USB 2.0) / full / low speed ) Ports on Unit
Headphones Out, Docking Station Connector, Internal Microphone, Microphone In, Ethernet Port, VGA Monitor Out, PC Card Slots
1 PCMCIA type I or 1 PCMCIA type II Cards and Cardbus support Modem
Built-in Modem V.92 Wireless LAN
Data transfer 300 Mbps max - Range 10m to 100m Mouse
Touchpad Weight
2700g Dimensions (W x H x D)
362.4mm x 29.8 to 37.7mm x 266.8 mm Intel® Virtualization Technology is not supported on this VAIO model* Depending on the model and if bought after September 2003 | ** Depending on the model and if bought after April 2007 | *** Depending on the model and if bought after September 2007

EDIT: BTW this was from the UK website!!

Your views are welcomed.
Carl.

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Carl,

Basically, you are making a claim under the Sale of Goods act as the item is not as described. You will be arguing that VGN-BZ11EN is defined by the specification above.

Misco are probably not going to hold up their hands and give you a refund, so you will have to take them to the Small Claims Court. This is cheap and easy.

However, ultimately it will be a judge who decides whether the laptop is significantly not as described - it could go either way.

If you need any help drafting a letter to Misco let me know.

Tony

sp4rky

Jul 10, 2009
Hi Tony if you can offer assistance with drafting a letter then that would be great. I dont really know a great deal about the sales of goods act and your input may help me greatly

Thanks Carl.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Something like this - email is fine these days:

Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On 01/01/2009, I bought a Sony VGN-BZ11EN laptop from you for £600.

This laptop is not as described as it does not have a microphone. The published specification of the Sony VGN-BZ11EN includes a microphone, and therefore any description including this model number should include a microphone by definition.

I would like you to provide me with a Sony VGN-BZ11EN with an integral microphone, an equivalent laptop, or a full refund.

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this e-mail otherwise I will start a small claim.

Yours faithfully

Carl

Please note that if they offer a refund they can deduct an amount for usage.

Misco

Jul 21, 2009
sp4rky

Please contact Misco on 0800 294 4515 as we are able to positively solve this issue for you :) We have been in contact with Sony to rectify the web description. You will be very happy with the outcome! Contact us please :)

Misco