Accidentally driving illegally

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I have had several instances where I have 'accidentally' drove without adequate cover.

Most recently, when I came to tax my car online at the end of last month I got a message on screen stating that my insurance could not be found. I had insured the car three months earlier, I had my certificate of insurance and the payments were being debited from my account each month, so as far as I was concerned, I was insured. After several calls to my insurance provider and several attempts to tax the car it came to light that the insurance company had the wrong registration number, the letter 'O' where it should have been the number '0'. I had insured the vehicle online, so am assuming that it was me who entered the registration number incorrectly, so I didn't push it with the insurance company, I was just thankful that I had not been pulled over and hit with a penalty for driving without insurance, though I do wonder how it would have panned out had I been pulled.

I have also drove with no MOT in the past, for about two months, completely forgetting that it was due. Lucky again that I did not get pulled over.

Also, I once taxed my car mid month and put the tax disc away safely at the back of the drawer with the intention of displaying it on the car at the start of the following month when it was needed. I forgot, and only realised months later when I was looking for something else in the drawer and came across the tax disc. Even though I was taxed, I know there is a penalty for not displaying the tax on the vehicle.

I have been lucky not to have been hit with a penalty on three occasions, and have since set reminders on my email calendar.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I think it would be quite easy to send MOT reminders now it is all recorded centrally, like we do for tax and insurance and I have to admit, if I didn't get reminders, I would never renew anything!!!!

The garage I went to recently had me fill out a reminder card so they can send it me next year and I know dealers do this, perhaps it is something all garages should consider, for repeat business if nothing else.

I know they say its your responsibility to check documents but in particular the O and 0 issue would be almost impossible to spot, I had a problem with insurance years ago where I was taken to court for having no insurance, it was thrown out on the day but quite scary!!!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
All the instances you mention are so easy to do TracyG - I bet we have all done them! I have certainly forgotten the MOT and now it is part of my ritual at New Year to go through the calendar adding the dates that MOTs expire for me and DH, as well as insurance cover of all kinds. It would be awful to not be insured, or feel like a criminal for a simple oversight. Thanks for pointing out the need to check and check again! I do wish we got MOT reminders like we get tax reminders, but of course governments are more interested in money than safety!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've driven without an MOT before. It wasn't my fault, but it was, if that makes sense.

I had car problems and my brother-in-law lent me his car which he wasn't driving at the time. It only hit me after about a week and a half to check the MOT was up to date.... it wasn't.

I've driven without tax before, that was when my insurance company sent me a new cover note a few days before my tax renewal and for some reason the car details were the car I had sold a year and a half before (rubbish insurance company). In the time it took for the new cover note to come the month changed, and rather typically I was pulled over by the police on the second of the month. (I'm the sort of person who if I ever do something mildly illegal I'm bound to be caught).

Luckily they just gave me a producer as everything else with me checked out.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I know someone who had an annual insurance policy that didn't renew automatically. I don't think any annual ones do, and this is a good reason to pay a bit more for monthly payments. Anyway, he had a crash the day after it ran out - nothing serious went into the back of someone at low speed and had to pay a few thousand to have both cars fixed. Luckily they didn't try to claim they had whiplash.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I had to wave goodbye to my Saab after a friend drove it and crashed into a lorry. Thank god she was alright but for some reason I had thought that she was covered to drive our car. She had had insurance through the company she worked for but had left her job (which I had forgotten). Anyway, it was completely my fault for not checking but I find it quite easy to get confused with insurance policies and we just lost about three thousand pounds. Ouch. Needless to say I am pretty careful these days about things like that!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
There are many legalities which have to be maintained with all kinds of vehicles. Unfortunately, as with you, there are situations when it is easy to make a genuine mistake; the insurance was not valid, but you had to pay the same anyway.
Double-checking all the essentials is the only way to ensure that everything is correct and legal. These days, with so many people driving illegally, the authorities really have few options but to assume that a 'mistake' is an offense.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Actually, amazingly, I didn't get into any trouble over it. My very attractive friend who had been driving came with me to the police station and when we handed our details in, or lack of more like, the policeman seemed to gloss over the missing insurance and let us get on our way. So actually, although I think all people driving without insurance are completely irresponsible, I couldn't believe my luck and was happy to accept the loss of my car and leave it at that!