Pine Or Oak?

jazmin2309

Banned
Dec 23, 2008
Pine Or Oak?
When paying a higher price for oak furniture you do find the quality dramatically improves. For many pieces oak furniture each piece of the item in question has been hand crafted by extremely skilled craftsmen who take dedication and pride in their workmanship. The additional parts such as drilled holes, brackets and handles are much higher standard than cheaper wooden furniture. The best come with wooden dovetailed joints rather than ugly fixtures.
When it comes to the deciding on whether to choose pine or oak furniture there are a couple of things which make a difference but it can also boil down to a matter of choice. Pine as a wood is usually cheaper than oak due to oak taking longer to grow which increases its price. As well as a more expensive price, oak has superior strength compared to pine although they are both known to have a high strength, oak has the edge by far though.
Oak has a higher weight than pine to so is suited to more long life pieces of wooden furniture such as a oak dining tables and chairs as these can take a large amount of bangs, knocks and spills over its lifetime. Pine has a much lighter weight so has been a choice for bedroom furniture such as a pine double wardrobe and makes it much easier to move pine bedroom furniture around when you want to change the layout, or to another room or even moving house.
Whichever range of furniture you go for be it oak or pine; do remember to take careful measurements before purchasing any piece of wooden furniture. Measuring your current furniture if it is being replaced is worthwhile and then comparing those measurements which those given on retailers websites. Even the smallest of measurements could possibly mean your new oak wardrobe for example does not fit in the alcove your current wardrobe currently stands. Another aspect is double checking you have enough angle to move any large piece of pine or oak furniture up the stairs, especially if your stairwell has a turn or two in it or you live in a cottage. It has been known for people in cottages to have their upstairs windows removed to be able to have their furniture delivered.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I would, if I had the choice, go for oak every time. I think oak is a beautiful wood and the quality shows. Pine has a horrible yellow colour that I can't stand although, that being the cheapest option, my house is full of!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Like yourself Rachelle, I too would go for oak everytime over pine, though oak can be rather expensive. I do have a couple of pieces of furniture and some shelving that I have had made for me out of a cheaper wood, and then I've stained them with a quality oak finish. Very effective and not at all expensive.

GerryRose

Sep 3, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Your right about the quality, oak trumps pine. I like the idea above about the oak stain though.

How about trying online only oak retailers? They might have lower overheads you see. It's worth a try

RussellMPowell

Jul 6, 2016
I’d go with oak rather than pine even if it means having to pay more. It’s durable and looks lovelier than pine. I’d rather settle for something more expensive than buy an item that’ll make me regret the decision in the end.

GloriaDSharma

Jul 13, 2016
Oak is a better choice. We have a few items at home made out of it and they all still look great. I've tried Pine before, but wasn't satisfied with it at all.

GaryCSmith

Jul 13, 2016
I'd go with oak. It's far more durable than pine. Although, you'd have to be willing to spend more if you plan to go with that option.

KathrynMBuchanan

Jul 13, 2016
I'd go with Pine. I think it's just a matter of preference. Oak is okay, too, especially in terms of durability. However, I still like Pine better.

DeliaEJames

Jul 13, 2016
Having the same sentiment with Kathryn. Oak is great. I know many people who love it. However, i prefer Pine. not because it is more durable but because I just like it more. Hope I'm making sense.

ruletheworld

Aug 20, 2016
UK
Oak looks rich and more stylish and easier to look after I would go for oak. Pine looks good too so it is entirely up to you how you feel about it and what you would prefer.

XMAX

Feb 2, 2017
Oak is one of my favorite woods so I am going with that :) in my house oak goes beautifully and it's very durable.

naughtygreeny

Nov 12, 2021
for me it really depends on the budget..oak furniture always last longer and yet far more expensive and heavier to move around.
I personally will go for pine and sometimes MDF for they are way cheaper... and I just rent my flat... you know....