School Holidays

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
It seems that this year more and more parents are taking their kids out of school during term time to take advantage of cheaper holiday deals. Some classes in our local primary school are missing up to a third of the children at the moment, and with still another week to go before the end of term.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
My parents would never do this (which wasn't easy as I wasn't from a rich background and they had four kids to take), but I knew plenty of friends that would disappear on holiday.

I think parents should accept when they have kids that this is a fact of life.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
It makes me mad!! It's a terrible precedent to set, giving the children the idea of education as optional/unimportant. If they want to play with term times, they could home-school. Teachers were getting a right bashing on Jeremy Vine t'other day with some people claiming that schools 'wind down' at the end of summer term, doing things like 'sport's day', as if 'sport's day' was one big skive! Maybe they are just trying to justify removing their children when it's really a money matter. I have met very very few teachers who are not thoroughly committed to giving children the best possible school all round school experience, and who don't have to make every single day of term count, as the Nat. Curriculum is full to bursting.

GekkoHQ

Jul 8, 2009
My mum's a teacher, so she sees this all of the time. It drives me mad. If the kid gets given a long summer holiday, it should be illegal to take them away on holiday during school time so close to the holidays. It's obviously parents not having their kid's best interests at heart.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Although surely sometimes it is ok to do this? You say it must be the parents not having the childrens best interests at heart, but if the children are young enough to have a great experience on holiday but not miss out on any important education because they are still at the early stage does it matter so much. If a parent really can't afford to take them away on holiday a few weeks later because things are tight shouldn't they be able to take them out every now and again?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I come from a relatively poor background, yet even with taking four kids away on holiday my parents always managed it during the holidays.

I suppose it depends whether you want to jet off abroad or not (we used to go on caravan holidays in the UK)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Cost doesn't just go up for flights abroad. There are also peak seasons in the United Kingdom for holiday lets and if things are tight, then a few weeks and the difference of a couple of hundred pounds is something that I do understand and I can see why parents take their children out. But I do think it shouldn't be done often. (Just once a year!). :)

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Good god, how do people afford this stuff??

I've never had a passport, I used to be on my parents' passports back when it was OK to do that.

My wife's ran out about five years ago, so here we are, a man, wife and child without passports.

We're thinking of some overseas travel at some point and this thread made me look into it.

£72 for an adult passport? And I need to muck about getting my photo signed by someone that personally knows me but also has standing in the community, and on top of that I would have to attend an interview to prove my identity since it is my first passport.

But there's worse, much worse.....

My ten month old son's passport would cost £46. And after five years I would need to renew it at the cost of £46!

So I will have the initial outlay of £190 to kit my family out, with the knowledge that in five years I will have to spend £46 again. And who knows? In those five years we have ended up not actually going anywhere!

Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
In vain hope I just browsed a UK holiday cottage site yesterday, but seeing the prices leap by 100% on the first day of the school holidays broke my heart - as the wife of a headteacher (of a small school - we are not well off) I have no choice at all in this matter, and cannot afford any sort of holiday away from home. Please do not suggest camping - I consider it like being at home without the facilities.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Well, if you don't like camping, I can only suggest a divorce Georginazn :D

Just joking.

Have you tried a google search instead? That's how I usually find holiday lets, those websites often have inflated prices. If you email people direct their costs are usually a lot less.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Try thinking outside of the box. Many situations require teachers some of which may be fairly enjoyable - try cruises, luxury hotel/spa vacations, etc. Using your abilities/qualifications may give other extended ideas for holiday ideas.
You would have to donate some time, but it might be worth it for you.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
How about having a think about that house swap that was mentioned elsewhere on the forums. I am really seriously starting to plan how we're going to go ahead and do this. I just have to build a web site first to show case my house (and hide the terrible bits!).

Also, Chutzpah, surely the most ridiculous thing is that anybody expects a new born baby to look the same once they are four and a half years old? They should just be able to go on the parents passport. I have now just paid for three childrens' passports and, in the end, I gave up trying to get them British passports as it was such a hassle to fill in the forms according to their rules and regulations. I have the option to give them an Irish passport and have done this instead. A much quicker and easier option, obviously not one that is open to all though.