Mobile phone insurance (again)

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I know we have a mobile phone insurance thread already going, but I felt this was on a slightly different topic.

I have a friend with an iPhone. Lets just say she's been a bit clumsy, and has managed to break/lose her phone six times in under a year.

She has just been told by O2 that the underwriters now consider her too high a risk so they are cancelling the policy. She doesn't get any refund of the remaining months on the policy, they've just cancelled it outright.

The way I look at it, she has paid her premium and the excess required each time so she has honoured her side of the agreement. Can they actually do this? I would understand refusing to insure her for another term, but this seems a bit off to me.

What's to stop them cancelling any insurance policy after you've claimed once??

Anyone more in the "know" know?

Last edited:

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Check the clauses. There will be something saying that the insurance company can cancel the policy at any time on their decision - presumably they have paid out more than the premiums remaining pro-rata.

Sure it is not correct, sure the insurance company should continue to pay until the current policy is finished.
However - insurance companies make profits, lots of it. So don't expect ever to make money out of insurance - on average, it is impossible.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
It's just insane. The underwriters calculate the risk and quote a premium. Then suddenly, midway through the term, they decide you're "too risky" and cancel the policy with no refund.

Obviously, my friend has been a little... clumsy... but that's part of the risk they underwrite.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Of course it should be.
But, there will be clauses in the policy which effectively means that their insurance is provided at no risk to themselves. By losing more than a certain number on phones, or making a certain number of claims within a period the insurers can cancel the policy.
Only when people refuse to take out insurance with those clauses will the situation change.